Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this gallstones?

(7 Posts)
HelenaJustina Tue 23-Dec-14 16:39:19

Since 8.30am yesterday I've been having what I can only describe as intensely painful spasms just under my breastbone. They last between 30secs and 2minutes and episodes come anything from 8mins apart to 30mins apart.
Have had no vomiting or diarrhoea, no temp but feel tired (pain woke me up frequently last night) and a bit achy all over, though think that is because I'm tensing all the time.
Nothing seems to make a difference, eating, not eating, toiletting, position...
The pain is incredible, on a par if not worse than childbirth!
Any words of wisdom?

hugoagogo Tue 23-Dec-14 17:48:15

Gallstones pain is constant for me, but your pain certainly sounds horrible enough and in the right place.
I think you should make an gp appointment (if you can) or ring 101 so you can be checked out.

HelenaJustina Tue 23-Dec-14 19:07:43

Thank you, got emergency GP appt who thinks gallstones. Got 2 lots of meds and referred for ultrasound...

Merry chuffing Christmas indeed!

hugoagogo Tue 23-Dec-14 19:13:39

Glad you got seen. Can I be nosey and ask what medication you've got?

I am waiting to have my gallbladder removed and haven't got any-just the low fat diet.

girliefriend Tue 23-Dec-14 19:17:13

Sounds like gallstones, billary colic sad

This was me a few years ago - awful.

Medication wise I had buscopan (for spasms) cocodomol and pethidine for when it was really bad. I stuck religiously to a low fat diet but would sometimes get attacks anyway. Stay away from eggs - they are high in cholesterol which can set you off.

PowderMum Tue 23-Dec-14 19:28:42

Have you been told to follow a low fat diet?
I had gallstones, for years until the attack landed me in hospital and then I had my gallbladder out.
To avoid attacks you have to follow a very bland low fat diet, can you do this?

JennieR60 Tue 23-Dec-14 21:40:42

I've just had my gallbladder removed in September. Mine started in March. It started with pain in my left side ribs which progressed through my ribs to my back and shoulder blades. It was worse than childbirth. I was rolling around screaming all over the place. I was violently sick too. I ended up going to out of hours who prescribed cocodamol and anti sickness. I saw my gp the following day who booked a scan and prescribed some ranitadine. A week later I was still in loads of pain and couldn't eat anything. The gp said I had cholecystitis which meant my gallbladder was infected. I was admitted to hospital treated with iv antibiotics. Had a scan in hospital which showed lots of stones. Recovered well from that and never had an attack like that again, however consultant referred me for gallbladder removal as he said it will get infected again. I followed an extremely bland fat free diet lost about 2 stone! Gallbladder surgery very easy and recovered with in a week. Consultant said removal was difficult as it had started to grow onto my liver and was enlarged with bile.

Can now eat whatever I like with no side effects. Before I was diagnosed I suffered with so much acid reflux, headache and general tidiness some people think it's related but I know Since my gallbladder has gone I don't get this any more.

Good luck I only waited 6 months for surgery so not too long. Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now