Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH Persistent cough - should I be worried?

(6 Posts)
KittyMcAllister Tue 23-Dec-14 02:32:32

DH, who is 39 and normally fit and well, has had a persistent cough for about a month now. It's had periods where it's lessened, but he hasn't gone a day without coughing (sometimes to the point of retching) that whole time. No temp or feeling particularly unwell with it.

He maintains that it always takes him ages to shift a cough (true, never this long before though I don't think) and that the GP will just say it's viral anyway. I think it's worth checking out just in case.

Any lovely HCPs out there who cn advise?

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Dec-14 09:29:13

A cough that lasts a month needs checking out. It may just be a lingering viral cough, but thats for a GP to decide, not him.

OddBoots Tue 23-Dec-14 09:32:07

The NHS says see your GP if a cough lasts more than 3 weeks.

QueenOfNewYorkLyndie Tue 23-Dec-14 09:34:58

Even a viral bronchitis you can cough for 6 weeks and that is normal. You get very sensitive airways after that can prolong the coughing. If he's a smoker, asthmatic, feverish, short of breath or bringing up bloody sputum then he should see someone.

Finola1step Tue 23-Dec-14 09:35:18

I had this in January. Went on for weeks. Didn't go to GP. Then got worse over a few days until I couldn't walk up the stairs without needing to sit down. Was pneumonia. Took me months to get over it properly.

Tell him to observe the 3 week rule.

KittyMcAllister Tue 23-Dec-14 10:35:31

Thanks for your help & advice. After another really ropey night I think I might finally have got through to him that it does need checking out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now