Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i need a dentist but im terrified.

(6 Posts)
ffsimanidiot Tue 23-Dec-14 01:40:46

im earlish twenties and my teeth are all rotten pregnant with my second Baby now and my front tooth has a new hole.

im terrified of the dentist. i brush twice a day, now, but no one taught me ever by 16 my back teeth had fallen out. i kept the front ones at bay mostly until i was pregnant the first time but they arw just awful i want to scream. i need someone to help me ane explain whats involved please... i need to fix them but only been to a dentist once ever at 12 when the dentist shouted at me about the state of my mouth.

DorisIsABitPartialToSprouts Tue 23-Dec-14 01:45:16

I'm terrified of the dentist too. I have nothing to say to make you feel better, other than by letting you know you are not the only one thanks

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 23-Dec-14 01:49:24

Honestly. Dentists see this a lot. If you are pregnant I think all your dental treatment is free. Book a consultation with a few NHS dentists if you can and find one you like and trust.
The painkiller injection is the worst but but they put on a gel first now and lots of modern practices use new kit which is gentler and less noisy

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Tue 23-Dec-14 10:58:41

Lots of dentists actually advertise as being good with nervous patients. Can you ask a few friends for recommendations, too? You can call up and give some basic info regarding your lack of care as a child and now pregnant and terrified which should mean the dentist understands from the off how things are.

I'm so sorry -- at least you can make sure this never, ever happens to your own children--. It could well be that your remaining teeth can be salvaged and the missing ones replaced. Good luck.

allypally999 Tue 23-Dec-14 13:13:52

My practice deals with the terrified and my dentist is a real sweetie ... just google it and I'm sure you can find one local to you ... or ask pals for a reference. Also maybe get a pal to go with you?

A lot of people are terrified for the same reason as you - bad dentists as children. There are less of these dinosaurs now thank God but you should still do some research ... think of it as interviewing for someone you would want working for you and if you don't like them move on.

You really need to take care of your teeth and I do hope your mouth can be repaired without too much hassle. I used to work in the NHS on the dental side and am passionate about this.

Good luck!

tomatoplantproject Tue 23-Dec-14 13:18:22

I was terrified too - had dreadful experiences of the dentist as a child and muddled along for years without going. I then developed gum problems which became really bad when I was pregnant.

I found a lovely local dentist, and dh came with me to hold my hand. It really wasn't as bad as I had been dreading, and regular trips to see the hygienist sorted out my gums.

It's one of those things you just have to face up to and do. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now