Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cracks in corner of mouth

(22 Posts)
Pud2 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:13:19

I have had sores in both corners of my mouth for about a month now. I've been using the Daktarin gel religiously but it doesn't seem to be working. Does any one know any other remedies?

Mrsmorton Mon 22-Dec-14 20:15:05

I'm a dentist and I usualky advise some vitamin B. Marmite to be precise. It works for me and most of my patients. I mean eat it, not smear it on but a sub clinical cut b deficiency can cause this.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Mon 22-Dec-14 20:15:22

I've had these, I'm pretty sure they are caused by anaemia so it may be a good idea to pop to see your GP and ask for a Full Blood Count to check your iron levels smile

EightToSixer Mon 22-Dec-14 20:17:03

DD has this and has been prescribed canestan HC which is doing the trick. It's also available Over the counter.

Dancingqueen17 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:19:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Dec-14 20:21:08

I think a vit B supplement would sort it pretty quickly.

CatCushion Mon 22-Dec-14 20:24:46

Vitamin B12 and vitamin B6 supplements. The liquid ones from Holland and Barratt (vitamin B complex) that you take under the tongue are pretty fast working.

CaurnieBred Mon 22-Dec-14 20:28:47

I had this when breastfeeding and health visitor told me to get a tonic from the chemist as it meant I was run down. Apart from the tonic, the name of which I can't remember, I did find the best thing to put on them was sudacreme as it kept the area moisturised and healed at the same time.

ShootTheMoon Mon 22-Dec-14 20:32:20

Is it angular cheilitis? I had it all last year when I had braces - I think they made me drool in my sleep blush. It was particularly bad when I was run down in winter though.

Based on recs from here, I used aMelrose Skin Care stick once it had settled down to keep it at bay.

Pud2 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:33:40

Wow, didn't expect quite such a quick response. Thanks very much everyone. I shall give these a go.

gamerchick Mon 22-Dec-14 20:34:12

You're deficient in vits. Up Your Bs definitely.

Pud2 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:36:16

Yes, I think it is Angular Cellitis, which I've had before. Usually the Daktarin gel works, but not this time. Thanks so much for all your suggestions everyone. Off to the chemist tomorrow!

CrabbitArse Mon 22-Dec-14 20:36:21

Bepanthen, works for me within a couple of days smile

Poofus Mon 22-Dec-14 20:40:29

I find putting coconut oil on it helps very quickly. In the slightly longer term, increase your intake of B vitamins!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 22-Dec-14 20:57:48

some toothpastes cause this with me

grimbletart Mon 22-Dec-14 23:11:50

Vit B definitely. Low folic acid can do it too.

clairewitchproject Mon 22-Dec-14 23:17:29

My sister had this fairly chronically - vitamin deficiency and anaemia caused by underlying coeliac. Just a thought if it turns chronic.

LosBreakingBad Thu 25-Dec-14 21:56:11

I had this about a month ago. I tried everything and none of it worked. Eventually I tried cheap cold sore lotion from Boots. It worked very quickly.

cherubimandseraphim Thu 25-Dec-14 21:59:46

I get this occasionally - my GP said the salts on saliva can keep the cuts open and stop them healing - he recommended Vaseline as a barrier to allow them to heal. I also get it when I'm run down.

moggiek Thu 25-Dec-14 23:10:19

As has been said above, it's a classic symptom of anaemia.

Pud2 Sat 27-Dec-14 18:33:18

Just to add... Have been using the Canestan HC cream for a few days now and it seems to doing the trick so thanks everyone. Who needs a doctor when you have Mumsnet?!

ILoveGreekCats Sat 27-Dec-14 18:38:01

My daughter had something like this and the pharmacist recommended Vaseline, Apparently it was caused by the saliva and it cleared up in a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now