Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Horrible chills-hot bath good idea?

(17 Posts)
bigjimsdiamondmine Mon 22-Dec-14 19:17:21

Not for DC for me. I've had horrible chills all day, can't get warm. Taken flu capsuals. Is a nice hot bath a good idea? I feel like that's what I need, but don't know if its likely to make it worse in the long run? Any advice?

ConfusedInBath Mon 22-Dec-14 19:19:12

I would. A nice hot soak hopefully will help.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 22-Dec-14 19:26:57

I wouldn't - I'd wrap up in layers, hit drink, hot water bottle and into bed (but I'm really not a water baby and I'd worry about getting out afterwards too)

bigjimsdiamondmine Mon 22-Dec-14 19:27:08

thanks so much for the reply. my boyfriend laughs at me because I consult the internet for everything, but I thought I'd read somewhere it made it worse (might just be for kids though). Can't find anything on google so will try and steam this bug out in a sec.

buttercupbear Mon 22-Dec-14 19:28:15

Get someone else to check that it's not too hot if you're having chills !

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 22-Dec-14 19:30:01

Hit drink? I meant " hot drink", obv. Don't recommend hitting the drink if you're poorly smile

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Mon 22-Dec-14 19:30:03

Yes. Check you haven't got a temperature. A hot bath or wrapping up could hear you up more.
Take paracetamol and keep your clothing loose and cool if you have a fever.

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Mon 22-Dec-14 19:30:22

Heat

LongDistanceLove Mon 22-Dec-14 19:30:33

Do you have a fever? If so you need to bring your body temp down not have a hot bath.

krazipan Mon 22-Dec-14 19:31:45

Having chills actually can mean that your temperature is high so if check this first. If it's 38c or above id recommend stripping off a bit. It sounds weird but it should work. Hope you feel better soon

krazipan Mon 22-Dec-14 19:32:13

X post!

bigjimsdiamondmine Mon 22-Dec-14 19:34:29

I don't think I have fever, feel freezing cold, like I can't get warm. But apart from that I don't know how to tell? Feel dog rough anyway. don't think a drink would help, for a moment I thought hot toddy grin. but I don't think that would mix well with paracetamol and no food!

bigjimsdiamondmine Mon 22-Dec-14 19:38:37

temp only 37.4, so no feber . Don't know what this stupid bug is, doesn't feel like cold or flu. Thanks for the advice though, will see if I can manage a bath in a bit.

ConfusedInBath Mon 22-Dec-14 19:40:03

If you don't have a temp then a hot bath would be lovely if you feel chilled to the bone. I suffer from feeling cold all the time ( fibro ) and a hot bath is a life saver!

bigjimsdiamondmine Mon 22-Dec-14 19:46:18

Cheers confused, Im normally hot all the time so its a bit of a shock! Looking forward to bath now.

wildernessagogo Mon 22-Dec-14 19:48:51

I feel exactly the same. Aching all over - joints and muscles. Can't get warm. Desperate for paracetamol. Misery personified!

bigjimsdiamondmine Mon 22-Dec-14 19:59:01

I feel you wilderness, hoping to be better for tomorrow as meant to be going to my mums for Xmas but elderly grandad is there and can't expose him to said mystery illness sad. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now