Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any experience of low platelets and blood marrow test?

(4 Posts)
Shadow1986 Mon 22-Dec-14 15:12:08

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

My DH went for a blood test a month or so ago (for unrelated matter) - tests showed very low white blood cells.

They decided to redo the test. The results came back today. Even lower white blood cells and platelets as the last test. They are not that concerned about white blood cells but said low platelets are worrying.

He was then asked if he had family history of leukemia and told he needed a bone marrow test ASAP. They called and offered him one today (same day) but was too short notice. So he is having it done on monday.

This is a big shock. He doesn't seem ill. Although does have a few symptoms like the pin prick red dots on his skin, sweating, etc...

Has anyone been through anything similar?

Thank you.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 22-Dec-14 15:39:43

Low platelets indicate the bone marrow is not producing new platelets so the bone marrow test is the first thing to look at.

My mum had very low platelets, and had the bone marrow test which ruled out leukaemia or any issues within the bone marrow.

It took a lot of tests and another month to get to her diagnosis (a low grade lymphatic cancer which was signalling her bone marrow to stop production, but is manageable with an antibody treatment. She has had 4 treatments and her bloods are back to normal, she will need repeat treatments but only every few months or so).

It is impossible not to worry, especially when a cancer has been mentioned, a bone marrow test doesn't mean it is cancer, its just the first thing they want to rule out. Hope you get some answers soon.

Shadow1986 Mon 22-Dec-14 15:43:50

Thank you for your response. Yes it's hard not to worry. The answer to whether he has family history is a yes too which makes me worry more.

Hope your mum is ok now.

Thanks though, I was before thinking the test was to confirm it was, not to rule it out so I will think of it that way around for now. Thanks again.

hellomynameis Mon 22-Dec-14 18:39:34

>>Low platelets indicate the bone marrow is not producing new platelets <<

this is not necessarily true.

low platelets can be because of lack of production, poor quality platelets or peripheral destruction.

The list of causes is long but generally requires additional blood tests, scans and often bone marrow biopsy/trephine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now