Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is "I'm not well" a good enough reason to cancel a GP appointment?

(6 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Mon 22-Dec-14 02:55:56

I've been ill since Thursday, just the virus that's floating around. I've spent probably 2 mins tops at any one time upright because I have vertigo and migraine with it, can't even sit up in bed. Mum called me last night to remind me I have a GP appointment and she'll be over in the morning to pick me up (I'm disabled and it's a difficult journey without a car so she keeps track and takes me). It's not anything urgent and I don't think Mum would cope if I came off my feet - she's not old but I'm taller and heavier than her and even my crutches won't keep me from going giddy.

I'm lying in bed unable to sleep, my eyeballs feel like someone tried to poke them in, I'm soaking (I have raynauds, it's odd to be so hot) and there's a lovely little rattle when I breathe that's made me cough my throat raw.

Just to make it all worse, my baby was 2 today and his own health is so delicate I'm too ill to be near him, he's only just come out of the cardiac ward. sad

FlossieTreadlight Mon 22-Dec-14 03:17:42

Yes, cancel the appointment and stay in bed. Hope you feel much better soon and can enjoy a belated second birthday party thanks

Mrscog Mon 22-Dec-14 08:18:40

Yes just cancel - they'll be grateful for the freed up appointnemnt.

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Mon 22-Dec-14 09:13:38

Can you call and ask for the GP to phone you instead? He might be able to give you something for the vertigo. It sounds grim for you.

Get well soon.x

Theorientcalf Mon 22-Dec-14 13:44:07

You don't need a reason to cancel an appointment, as long as you do cancel it and don't just not turn up.

confuddledDOTcom Mon 22-Dec-14 15:53:06

It didn't wash with Mum but I got antibiotics out of it and a trip to Morrison's with my eldest who needed to tell me absolutely everything that's happened since I've been ill (which includes all book/tv storylines) also required an in depth discussion on the difference between Father Christmas and Santa Claus, what culture means, why Nick Frost is an appropriate actor to play Father Christmas, oh and why we say Father Christmas brings the presents and not someone else confused She's 8 and testing out the story this year. I'm normally the only one who can cope with her chatter but I was close to telling her to shut up because I can't hear you properly and it's making me feel sick trying to follow conversation.

GP said I'm doing the right thing keeping away from the kids as the baby wouldn't tolerate this well, eldest has already been ill with it and had fallen out with dad and my sister (seriously, who's the child? She's so easy to handle but they start shouting and she closes down then they do "but she...") so we had to pick her up. Anyway, just hoping I'm ok for Christmas sad we're so far from ready that we've been worried about it but now I might be away from them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now