Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which one lifestyle change you've made has had the most positive impact?

(112 Posts)
iloveblue Sun 21-Dec-14 22:01:54

Hi
Just that really.
I am 37, a mum of two, work full-time plus running a small craft business in the evenings and am feeling old and weary.
I'm overweight and have neglected myself and my health for far too long, so it is time to make changes.

I would love to hear what changes were the most beneficial to you.

mameulah Sun 21-Dec-14 22:03:11

Bump, what a great idea for a thread.

mameulah Sun 21-Dec-14 22:04:19

I didn't think I had anything to contribute. But, I reckon when I do half an hour of outside exercise every day I feel heaps better.

rhetorician Sun 21-Dec-14 22:04:50

running

Mintyy Sun 21-Dec-14 22:05:50

Giving up smoking

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sun 21-Dec-14 22:07:08

I ditched the thing which caused me the most stress, which was my job, and had a diet overhaul. I got rid of the ready meals and the quick foods and went back to cooking from scratch. I can honestly say it's the best thing I've done as I haven't felt this well for a very long time (years). I was diagnosed with MS 4 years ago and even that has improved. I do need to exercise more though.

Favouritepants Sun 21-Dec-14 22:07:33

Green smoothies for breakfast. Half green leafy veg, half fruit and water blended. I usually add things like ginger, turmeric, even cayenne pepper. This has made quite a difference to my energy levels, and physical health and skin tone.

ArabellaStrange Sun 21-Dec-14 22:07:43

Not drinking and taking regular.exercise has made me feel so much better in every way!

Moresproutsplease Sun 21-Dec-14 22:08:36

Stopping smoking. Very hard to do but obviously good for my health and finances.

Good thread. I have no tips but am watching in the hope that I will learn a lot.

nearlyreadyforstatelyhomes Sun 21-Dec-14 22:09:21

Signing in!

I suspect reducing time spent on my phone would make a difference to my life.

southeastastra Sun 21-Dec-14 22:10:10

giving up cigs and sugar

Kahlua4me Sun 21-Dec-14 22:11:41

Joined Slimming World. I have lost 3 stone and am now a size 10-12 and feel fantastic! It has taken me a year.

iloveblue Sun 21-Dec-14 22:11:57

Ooh fab - wasn't expecting such a quick response.
I do quite a bit of walking (we don't have a car), and I do feel better on days when I have been outside, but I definitely need to up the exercise.
Like the green smoothie idea too. smile

ihatethecold Sun 21-Dec-14 22:12:30

Getting a dog that's needs lots of exercise.
I'm forced to go out 2 times a day and have lovely long walks in the fields.

OscarWinningActress Sun 21-Dec-14 22:13:14

Embracing, rather than eschewing, modern pharmaceuticals smile

iloveblue Sun 21-Dec-14 22:14:45

Well done Kahlua - was it easy to stick to?

fufulina Sun 21-Dec-14 22:16:45

Drinking a lot of water. 3 litres a day. And mostly ditching carbs.

Kahlua4me Sun 21-Dec-14 22:20:11

It was surprisingly very easy to stick to and has become a way of life now. I can also see how good it is for dh and dc as they are also eating better.

The group I joined was only small and everyone very welcoming and supportive .

lollygagger Sun 21-Dec-14 22:25:16

I stopped eating sugar and processed food in my 20s when I was fat and depressed and the weight fell off and I have never felt so energetic or sexy. I'm now 39 and trying to get back to a semblance of that. Have started with cutting out sugar and adding in smoothies and veg but Christmas has got in the way. I'll be back on the wagon in January. Oh, and no more wine.

nearlyreadyforstatelyhomes Sun 21-Dec-14 22:27:16

When you say "cut out sugar" - to what extent do you go to? As in, there is sugar in fruit... And weetabix. Do you still eat fruit and weetabix for example?

RockinD Sun 21-Dec-14 22:28:59

I stopped smoking and then bought a bike through the cycle to work scheme. I now use the bike for all journeys under about five miles (one way) and feel great.

catsofa Sun 21-Dec-14 22:29:31

Stopping smoking, it was like a panacea, loads of things I hadn't quite realised were wrong but thought were just me suddenly got better.

I'd got really thin after a major bereavement and suddenly I started putting on weight again properly... and then a little more, which prompted me to eat more healthily to stabilise at a healthy weight without supressing my appetite with cigarettes.

I could soon breathe easily and without coughing, so I started riding my bike a bit longer and further and faster and up bigger hills.

My circulation noticeably improved, so I feel the cold less and in any case now don't have to take my gloves off all the time to smoke so my hands are warmer still.

I've stopped making my arthritis worse.

It gave me confidence in myself to know that I could make changes successfully and take care of myself, and not have the fear of illness hanging over me the way all smokers do. That's helped my mental health quite a lot.

I have colour back in my cheeks, a couple of notches off my anxiety levels, I am better smelling and generally more attractive grin.

Then I got pregnant, and was able to be terribly smug about having given up smoking a whole year before, not just because I got pregnant.

I bought a little omron pedometer (about �16 on amazon) and it's great. Such a good incentive to get 10,000 steps per day.

bigbuttons Sun 21-Dec-14 22:32:38

I'm wanting to really cut out sugar in the new year. Would love a support thread for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now