Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Normal pains for first period after birthday (slightly obsessing about ovarian cyst after too much time on Dr google!)

(10 Posts)
Up2nogood Sat 20-Dec-14 00:02:51

Does this sound like normal first pregnancy symptoms after birth (14 months). I've had them for about 6 weeks now, and have freaked myself out on dr google....

Started about 6 weeks ago. What I would expect ovulation pain to feel
Like. Or like implantation feels like (I felt the later, not the former). But this got quite intense and more painful after about 3/4 days and on about day 5 I was having to stop in my tracks at work with the pain. It's not been that painful since, but the pains and aches have never gone. I get them daily. Coupled with lots of gas and a feeling like there was a little tiny baby in there kicking about almost. (There isn't as i have been peeing on a stick regularly as I've been so convicted something isn't right!)

I've been terribly tired but having said that I have 2 toddlers so who wouldn't be.

Then today I crashed. My period finally came..... So I put the pains down to gearing up for that. Didn't feel quite 'right' this morning though. Then at lunch I just deteriorated within half an hour. Felt tired, then ill, then sick, dizzy, faint, shakes, hot..... Had to pull over to collect myself then got home ASAP and called hubby home from work. Slept all afternoon. My stomach still feels tender and delicate. I still feel sick. And I've still got pains in my left side of my pelvis. And despite being up at midnight stressing..., I'm exhausted.

Like we all do, I made the mistake of reading up my symptoms but some of the threads I've read about ovarian cysts seem to be similar. Am I being paranoid? Do my symptoms just describe a crap first period???

Up2nogood Sat 20-Dec-14 00:08:21

Sorry title should say first period after birth... not birthday!!! That wouldn't really make sense!!!

Up2nogood Sat 20-Dec-14 00:10:13

I don't know how I forgot to mention the skull crippling headache I've had all day too....
Hmmm I'm definitely freaking myself out!!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 20-Dec-14 08:57:05

I would seek medical advice. You should be also referred onto a gynaecologist as well.

Do not keep reading Dr Google.

tobee Tue 23-Dec-14 16:54:28

Sounds like could be period plus panic attack?? That bit at lunch sounds just like my panic attacks especially combined with your stress levels and googling. But could be other things. Either way, you should prob see gp soonish.

Up2nogood Thu 25-Dec-14 00:02:23

Seen GP today. He suspects a cyst. Mentioned swelling of 5cm. Took bloods for various tests. Not sure what for, I didn't ask but I suspect cancer sad. Got to wait on results of those before referal. He was talking 2 weeks ish for a scan.

Has anyone got any experience of a cyst? We've been waiting for my period to ttc. We have been waiting to start for months. Is it safe to ttc? I've read people have then whilst pregnant.

Flippin rubbish!

Santasgrotto Thu 25-Dec-14 08:09:58

were you on the other thread about health anxiety and ovarian cysts- started by someone else? sorry if this is not right.

I'm confused by your post- are you saying this is your first period after the birth of your child- 14 months ago? Or are you saying you are trying to conceive 14 months after birth of your child?

Look, ovarian cancer in anyone under 45-50 is extremely rare. It doesn't start and go to full blown cancer symptoms in months.

I don't know how your dr can possibly detect a 5cm cyst without you having a scan. Is that really what they said?

Your symptoms around your period sound normal tbh- not pleasant but normal. I get those types of pains sometimes. You may have endo- that would account more for the pain .

I think you should step away from google and get help for your anxiety.

Up2nogood Thu 25-Dec-14 16:57:59

The dr did an internal examination. Felt an abnormal swell which he thinks is a cyst. He has a converation with the consultant gyne at the hospital as to whether to refer me urgently that day or wait until after christmas. It was then he mentioned the size of the swell/growth at 5cm. I don't think I've got anxiety.

ConfusedInBath Thu 25-Dec-14 21:38:04

Goodness santasgrotto that was condescending to the OP.

OC does happen to people in their forties. I know of two.

OP I'm sorry you're worried and going through this.

Santasgrotto Fri 26-Dec-14 21:29:32

No- it wasn't, Confused.

If it was (which it wasn't) then I apologise but I thought the OP was the same person who was an another thread a couple of weeks back about OC and she admitted she had a health anxiety.

OP I'm pretty clued up on cysts because I had one which was monitored for 2 years.

Most cysts under 5cms are considered less of a risk anyway.
Most cysts in young women disappear on their own.
The stats show very few cases of OC in women under 45. Yes, I know it can happen; I have spoken with women in their early 40s ( as part of some work I was doing at one time) who did have O cancer, but it is very rare.

I hope you are okay. I think if you are not you need to double check this is not an ectopic PG. I'm not sure how accurate a PG test would be if it was an ectopic because there would not be any implantation.
If the pain carries on go back to your GP or even A&E if it's bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now