Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worrying about possible op

(98 Posts)
Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 04:26:41

So it's 4am. I'm yet again lying awake. I'm a single parent and suffer with really bad loneliness and isolation so this is my low point anyway.

For those who haven't followed my threads ive been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. Seeing gynae in a few weeks as I have what is called a 'bilocular' cyst. Doc says it's unlikely to go of its own accord. Herein lies my problem I'm absolutely PETRIFIED of having a GA. I've never had one maybe it's fear of the unknown? Ever since I was little ive had this fear.......... I don't know where it stems from? This fear is taking over my life I'm not functioning. My GP has put me on beta blockers. I know lol of you will say this is a mental health issue, I agree partly, but I DO have something to be scared of! I'm not 'imagining' things, ive been diagnosed with this awful bloody cyst, and I'm scared stiff. I really don't know how to cope? I'm so alone.

I wish I had someone, especially in these wary hours. I'm so lonely I look longingly at others who have support, either from partners and/or family.

hmmhmm

allypally999 Thu 18-Dec-14 11:21:39

Oh dear I do feel for you ... just actually had an op myself so still off sick recovering - are you sure you actually need an op? Maybe its something can be dissolved without an op (sorry if that's stupid but I don't know).

Firstly - lots of people are afraid of GA so that's not a mental health issue. Your GP should give you something for the fear (diazepam or the like) or if not they will give you something in hospital to give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you tell them you are scared.

Secondly, its not like the movies and people don't really die on the op table honest they don't (unless they are really old, frail or sick which is not you I assume).

Don't you have anyone? I bet people would like to help if they knew how scared you were. Don't be afraid to ask. People always say "let me know if I can help" and mostly they actually do mean it.

I agree - middle of the night is the worst - fears are never so bad in daylight. I was scared too and don't have final results yet so still am.

(((hugs)))

Badvocinapeartree Thu 18-Dec-14 12:53:59

Oh you poor thing.
But you know what? At 4am ANYTHING seems worse!
I have had 2 GAs and - honestly - it's actually quite a pleasant experience "going under" smile
I had a lovely sleep both times and woke up pain free smile
You'll be ok.
But it's ok to be scared of the unknown x

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:04:39

Thank you both for your kind replies. I do have lovely friends it they aren't there in the middle of the night when I just need a cuddle! A lot of people have told me it's quite a pleasant experience! A friend of mine is adamant I will say afterwards 'what was I worried about'? But that hasn't stopped me worrying! I'm so scared of actually lying on the bed, with the cannula in and them 'forcing' me unconscious! Absolutely petrified!!! Xx

allypally999 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:40:07

Honest its over in a flash and then they are waking you up. You only have a few seconds of panic and then you are out for the count.

Good luck!

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:52:05

Haha thanks ally ........ I think it's the 'panic' that's scaring me! X

JubJubBirds Thu 18-Dec-14 15:05:36

I've had a fair few gyne ops so I know where you're coming from Shoe. Honestly though it's actually pretty lovely having a GA!

Before you go under you can have a sedative, which makes you feel all warm and cosy. Then they'll briefly do a few boring adminy checks while you enjoy your sedative. After that they give you the actual GA and you just feel super sleepy and before you know it you're asleep! Its not a dreamy kind of sleep, its very deep and relaxing. When the OP is over you'll wakeup in recovery with a lovely nurse watching over you, who will immediately check you're not in pain and top you up with any extra pain relief if you feel you need it. They're very generous with pain relief so don't worry about that.

It sounds like its the wait that stressing you outmore than the actual though of it. If I were you I'd pop back to your GP and ask for a few diazepam to help with your 4am anxieties! smile

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:09:05

Thanks jubjub......... It helps enormously to hear what u are saying...... I'm proper terrified (did I mention that?! Lol). Do you dream whilst under? Do u have any recollection at all? Xx

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Thu 18-Dec-14 15:22:28

Another one to say it's really quite pleasant. No, you don't dream, it's just velvety blackness. Another thing is that all the anaesthetists I met were lovely, gentle people who are really used to frightened people.

In some cases it might even be possible to have an appointment with the anaesthetist beforehand. they might prescribe something to help you feel calm on the day. And look at it this way, aren't we immensely lucky to have the option of having essential surgery to rid us of health risks? Once the cyst is gone and you are recovered you will feel so relieved.

Good luck.

Badvocinapeartree Thu 18-Dec-14 15:36:16

Omg my last anaesthetist was so hot!! shock
He Even have me a local before he put the canula in.
And lots of morphine grin

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:39:29

My GP is hot lol! He asked me if intercourse was painful (ive been single since the year dot!!!) I felt like saying 'pop up on the bed we will try........' Haha. Thankyou all I think my fear, as I've said, is in the unknown, being forced unconscious, going under, and what that must feel like? Yes we are very lucky, I KNOW. This, I work within the NHS, it's fantastic, but I've never been a patient! Xx

Badvocinapeartree Thu 18-Dec-14 15:45:16

Yes do ask for a pre op to calm you down.
I had one and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery!!

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:46:29

Oh they can throw whatever they've got at me!!!! Lol x

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:52:11

What's it like actually going under? People tell me you count to about 3and you're out? I can't imagine going out that quick that's what is scaring me!? X

allypally999 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:56:14

yep it doesn't take long ... pretty much as soon as the anaesthetic pushes the drug in you are off ... no-one ever gets through the count lol

it feels a little odd - not quite like falling asleep - more like switched off, hard to describe, or sober to drunk in seconds - then you are being shaken awake and astounded that its all over

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:57:15

I think this is what is scaring me ally? Lol x

allypally999 Thu 18-Dec-14 16:09:03

ah ... sorry ... least its over fast then? x

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 16:16:16

Yes I think it's the build up? Actually getting myself to the hospital on the day without my legs giving way! And not having a panic attack! And not fainting!! confusedconfused

Shoegal0305 Thu 18-Dec-14 16:20:08

I am in a bit of pain so maybe I need to turn my thinking on its head? I will be rid of it (hopefully?) I keep telling myself it's a routine simple op not open heart surgery! X

Badvocinapeartree Thu 18-Dec-14 16:45:13

I got to 2 in my first op.
Didn't even get that far on my second! Was wittering on about the weather and the next thing I knew I was in recovery having a drink of water smile

Shoegal0305 Fri 19-Dec-14 15:21:22

Anyone else got some positive experiences??

JubJubBirds Fri 19-Dec-14 19:18:43

I didn't find it like that ally, I definitely wasn't shaken awake! I woke up every time to lovely smiley nurses looking at me while I woke up gently. In fact one time I got told 'shh go back to sleep pet' because I was busy trying to nosily gawp at everyone I blame the morphine. I did as I was told and snuggled back to sleep.

And it's exactly what you say shoe; you're having this op for a good reason, to help you be pain free. Operations cost thousands of valuable NHS pounds, they're not going to waste them, they're going to do it properly and you'll be well looked after. It'll be worth it in the end. Have you got much longer to wait?

Shoegal0305 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:24:44

See gynae on Jan 2ndxx

marne2 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:34:15

I had a GA for the first time this year ( wisdom teeth removed ), dh could not come with me as we have 2 DDs with ASD and no one else to look after them, I got a lift to the hospital from my dads partner, I then had to wait 4 hours as they were running late, like you I was terrified as I didn't know what to expect. The waiting was the worst bit, I was taken into theatre, the doctors and nurse where brilliant and explained everything to me, I was so sure the GA would not work but it worked a treat, you get a warm feeling come over you and then your asleep, next thing you know you are waking up and you feel very relaxed, I then felt a little light headed for the next 24 hours but was much better than I expected, I quite enjoyed the sleep and rest without kids bothering me and I was in no rush to go home smile.

mummylin2495 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:43:57

I too was a terrible wreck when I went in to have an op. I was terrified. It was absolutely fine. I had pre med which near enough knocked me out to start with. They woke me to say they were taking me to theatre. I couldn't of cared less by that time. I have no recollection of being in recovery, my first memory is waking up with my dd by my bed . It was my first op too and felt just like you, but honestly it was fine, good luck .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now