Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

please give me your good stories of having a discectomy

(9 Posts)
TemporarilyOutOfOrder Wed 17-Dec-14 01:14:29

I have a l4 l5 disc bulge and have been referred for surgery, I can hardly move with the pain at the moment despite medication. Just wondering if anyone has had this surgery and if it helped?

Whenwillwe3meetagain Wed 17-Dec-14 02:48:18

Yes dh had this two years ago and he is much better now. Still needs to be careful and do his exercises but loads better. Good luck.

SunshinePickle Wed 17-Dec-14 03:18:49

DH had an emergency discectomy over the summer and it was instant relief. Make sure you go to physio after and be kind to your back even if it feels better!

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Wed 17-Dec-14 08:40:10

If you'd like to join us on the Back Pain thread you would be very welcome.

One of our number there had surgery yesterday and woke up with no leg pain. You will be able to follow her progress in real time if you want really up to date info smile

Sorry you are in this position. It sucks.

allypally999 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:51:00

Ditto what Matilda said.

Surgery helped me - could hardly move before but can get the shopping in and do some light chores now. The younger you are and the faster they get to you I think is key. Its a long recovery but worth it for sure. Get all the advice you can (physio, etc) and make sure its right for you as we are all so very different - as you will see on the back pain thread. Look forward to meeting you properly on there.

TemporarilyOutOfOrder Wed 17-Dec-14 10:13:55

Thanks for the replies, I will join you on the back pain thread shortly. This is all looking really good. To be honest anything would be better than the pain now. Childbirth was a lot easier.

joencaitlinsmum Wed 17-Dec-14 15:01:36

I had one just over 6 years ago, woke up from the op feeling like I had been hit by a bus but the horrible leg pain had gone completely. Wouldn't hesitate in having another if I had to (tear in disc above still)

Make sure you do what they tell you after the op and don't overdo it, attend physio etc and be easy on yourself!

HTH

grimbletart Wed 17-Dec-14 18:27:30

Another one here. Seventeen years of pain (lumbago and sciatica) from two prolapsed discs in the lower back with medics reluctant to operate because bits of disk had broken off and were near the spinal cord. Finally had the op. Oh the relief. Instant cure.

grimbletart Wed 17-Dec-14 18:28:38

Ha Ha "disc" not "disk". I didn't have prolapsed CDs in my back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now