Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

posterior prolapse repair - desperately seeking advice about recovery!

(6 Posts)
beanhead24 Sun 14-Dec-14 09:03:46

I am booked in to have this surgery but am really worried/confused as to exactly what state I will be in when I get out of hospital. Am I going to feel really invalid or will it be comparable to having had a vaginal birth with some stitches? Have been told the stay in hospital will be 2 nights & that I will most have a catheter fitted until the day I go home. Does this happen in reality? Are you really catheterised for that long?

Will I be able to walk very far? Will I feel able to have a shower, wash hair etc or will simple tasks feel too difficult?

Really panicking as I don't know if to go ahead now or postpone until a more suitable time (have young DCs).

Help!

Footle Sun 14-Dec-14 19:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catheter yes.. and tbh you will be glad of it! Not having to move to pee is a real bonus at first and while it's a bit weird it is ok.

Do you have support at home? If you so, I'd say go ahead now.. get it out of the way... but you WILL need to take it really easy for a good few weeks afterwards to heal.

beanhead24 Mon 15-Dec-14 10:34:09

Thank you for the replies I am becoming increasingly panicked about it & reading the any old prolapse threads on here has made me worse!!

The only reason I would be having the op is due to feeling very loose during sex, I don't know if that's reason enough to put myself & my family through it all tbh.

I'd imagined that apart from lifting I would be back to normal pretty much straight away but the recovery sounds quite bad the more I read about it. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow & just don't know what to do!!

Husband would be off for first 16days then I'd have help, but not 24/7. Dd is a young toddler so she needs to be lifted quite a lot every day.

beanhead24 Mon 15-Dec-14 10:35:51

...... Also, reading the any old prolapse threads has made me realise that sex could still end up being problematic afterwards so it wouldn't definitely help in any case!!!sad Going out of my mind tbh!!!

DayLillie Mon 15-Dec-14 16:33:55

I had it done a couple of years ago. TBH, I was surprised by how tired I got in the first couple of weeks, and the first few days I was useless for anything and would suddenly tire and have to get horizontal. But from there on, I gradually improved.

By six weeks, I was physically fine, but had to deal with annoying menopause problems on top of it. And I really went off cooking and couldn't be arsed with a lot of things!

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

As far as results go - I am really pleased that I now have a perineum. The gynae said that I should have the op primarily to feel better about myself, and thought hmm but I do like that part of it. I feel less 'broken'. I do feel like I have a vagina and not an open cave. It is not earth shattering but I feel normal for me grin

I wanted to be able to poo properly. It disappointed here, but I was warned. I have since come to grips with my constipation issues and did not realise how constipated I was! Tips here: movicol, glycerine suppositories, diet, fluids, foot rest, look up pelvic floor relaxation and pelvic floor dysfunction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now