Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post-op nights sweats. Bleurgh!! Anyone had this? How long does it last??

(7 Posts)
Jacksmania Sat 13-Dec-14 20:03:07

Had fairly major abdominal op Dec 1st. Hysterectomy, cystocoele and rectocoele repair, tubes removed, colposuspension, but ovaries left in.
Recovery uneventful and as expected (I could moan and groan and whine but I'll spare you, of course it's a total bitch for the first few weeks but really nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell.)

Most annoyingly, I'm having night sweats. I normally get them a few days before my period starts as my progesterone levels tend to plummet rather than gently decrease, but this has been every night since 4th night post-op. (12th day post-op today.)
I Googled once and then stepped away from Dr. Google as reading too much can be rather frightening, but it appears to be not unusual after major ops.

What I want to know is, how fecking long is this going to last? It's horrible! Two or three soaked night shirts a night, and I have to painfully roll from wet side of bed to dry side and then back again. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

TIA for any input thanks.

feekerry Sat 13-Dec-14 20:48:12

Well I have had 2 c sections and had awful night sweats after both. Similar to you, bed sheets soaking. Think they lasted about 4-5 weeks in total on both occasions. Really bizzare!!
Hope recovery goes well x

PetiteRaleuse Sat 13-Dec-14 20:53:30

Oh I know how this feels. A couple of weeks. Keep an eye on your temperature in case of infection, but I had no infection, no fever, and it ended after a few weeks.

I also got really greasy hair for about 6 weeks post op. It was horrible. Just as an aside. If that happens to you too, it passes after about 6 weeks.

Jacksmania Sun 14-Dec-14 06:17:58

My skin and hair have been horribly oily. Not just the skin on my face, but back and chest as well. Was wondering about that - thanks!

I hope it doesn't last 6 weeks! I'd go mad. I quite like a dry bed sad

mice Sun 14-Dec-14 06:23:12

My last surgery was over 18 months ago and I still get night sweats virtually every night, not been cured yet by anything sad a dry bed and a full nights sleep are distant memories!

AllIWantForChristmasIsANewBody Sun 14-Dec-14 16:42:43

My post-op night sweats lasted a few weeks. One thing that really helped was sleeping naked on a bath towel.

Jacksmania Mon 15-Dec-14 02:17:57

mice, I'm so sorry - that's horrible!! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now