Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Knee and Neck pain. GP Office could not care less

(6 Posts)
Pyjamaface Fri 12-Dec-14 13:39:50

For a week I've had a pain in my neck that moves around my head, always ending up behind my left ear and a constant headache.

My right knee is also painful, I cannot bend it fully or straighten it fully. A constant ache from the time I wake with random stabbing pains, getting worse throughout the day. Yesterday evening I was sitting with my leg up, pillows under my knee for support and I could have cried with the pain.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are not doing anything, full doses for a week. Hot baths, cold packs etc nothing is helping.

I am also tired. Completely exhausted, I've been sleeping for at least 2 hours during the day and then still cannot keep my eyes open past 9pm.

So off I toddle to the doctors this morning and I was told tough. It's because I haven't looked after my joints so this is what happens and I have to just take paracetamol and put up with it, and it will sort itself out sad

This is way longer than I meant it to be but surely there must be something else I can do. I came home and cried because I feel so dismissed and stupid.

Any help at all?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 12-Dec-14 13:47:46

Re your knee. He was probably right, though a tad harsh on you I think. There are operations available, depending on what the exact problem is. Go and see another GP in the practice, or push the original for a referral.

Re your neck. That sounds like either stress, or to do with posture - do you sit at a pc a lot?

For both issues, particularly neck one, it may be worth seeing a physio too

MrsSquirrel Fri 12-Dec-14 13:55:35

See an osteopath. This is the type of thing they deal with all the time - neck pain, back pain, knee pain.

I have knee pain sometimes. The osteopath told me it is down to wear & tear. (I am in my 50s.) Osteopathy is not a cure, but definitely makes me feel better. I have to go back every so often for a top-up treatment to keep the pain under control.

I went to the GP about my pain at first. He was more sympathetic than yours, but not really any more helpful. He basically told me that the only thing they could offer was a referral for orthopaedic surgery. I didn't want to go down that road.

Pyjamaface Fri 12-Dec-14 14:01:16

Thank you, he probably is right and I'm being oversensitive but his whole attitude upset me.

I work in a pub so no sitting at desks etc. My posture is good (if I do say so myself wink ) because I am very mindful of it due to back problems in the past that needed physio.

hellomynameis Fri 12-Dec-14 14:09:10

no need for referral, just get some self management sheets from the internet or a book from amazon.

sometimes time is the best healer.

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Fri 12-Dec-14 17:28:39

Alexander Technique is great for neck and spinal problems, it's all about letting go of tension from your body and helping your spine to be correctly aligned. this is brilliant.listen to the guided rest and do regularly.

Also re your neck, do you text a lot? Apparently there is an epidemic of neck problems caused by people tilting their necks forward to text etc.

Your knee is IMO separate and if it continues should be investigated. I have quite severe arthritis in one part of my knee and injections really help. fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now