Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Abdominal cramps following sickness bug

(9 Posts)
KillmeNow Thu 11-Dec-14 19:25:19

Ive had one of the sickness bug going around. It was nasty but to be expected as its all round work at the moment. However, I have terrible cramps that hurt like hell most of the time.Sometimes very little time between bouts ,sometimes several minutes. My insides feel like Ive been thoroughly kicked .

I have asked the doctor as I was there anyway today and he said it was probably inflamed intestines as I also have terrible heartburn .He prescribed Omazaprole(?) for that and passed on to the other reason I was there.I mentioned that I had tried Paracetamol for the pain and he said that wouldnt help. I have looked online and apparently asprin and ibuprufen are also out as they can increase the pain.

Im sitting now with a hot water bottle clutched to my middle .Its helping a little but every so often the cramps get really tight.

Any idea what else I can try?

mawinter Thu 11-Dec-14 20:03:27

Your stomach flora is probably still a little disrupted following the tummy bug. I would highly recommend some probiotics.

TortoiseInAShell Thu 11-Dec-14 20:12:42

I agree with probiotics.

Avoid heartburn type foods too. Stick to bland and plain stuff for a while.

KillmeNow Thu 11-Dec-14 20:21:10

Would that help with the cramping -and thus the pain?

Is that the probiotics in little bottles or just live culture yoghurt?

Im willing to try anything.

TortoiseInAShell Thu 11-Dec-14 20:36:32

I can't remember where I read it but Yakult drinks seemed to have more concentration of probiotic than actimel drinks. If you can get to a health food shop probiotic supplements have an even higher concentration I believe.

TortoiseInAShell Thu 11-Dec-14 20:37:49

To some degree the cramping is expected if the bowel is inflamed and irritated. Best not to eat and drink foods that excite the bowel further, so maybe less coffee etc.

KillmeNow Thu 11-Dec-14 20:56:11

Well with me every damn thing seems to end up with heartburn.

I had a couple of cream crackers last night and nothing to eat today as I have no appetite.Ive drunk only water and a couple of cups of decaf tea today and had the first ozmazaprole capsule. I still have heartburn. sad

I dont know how to mend myself.

tipsycat Thu 11-Dec-14 21:01:57

The omeprazole will take a couple of days to start working, stick with it!

KillmeNow Thu 11-Dec-14 21:57:47

Thanks for that tipsycat. The doc seemed to think it would be immediate and therefore so did I.

Im impatient I know because I havent had a full nights sleep for 3 nights now and Im beginning to lose it slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now