Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding on the mini pill

(6 Posts)
saltedcaramelicious Thu 11-Dec-14 13:47:01

I've been on the mini pill for 7 months. I bled (only very light, pink/brown) for 10 days when I started taking it, then it stopped for a few days, then bled for another 7 days.
Then absolutely nothing at all til 6 days ago when bleeding started again.
Is this normal? As I'd had no bleeding up til now I thought I wouldn't have any at all while on the pill.
It's annoying as it puts me off dtd, and have no idea how long it'll last for.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 11-Dec-14 14:24:48

which pill, as there are several different types of mini-pill? I tried 2 different ones before ending up on cerazette and it stopped my periods apart from the odd days of light bleeding here and there. (now have a mirena coil)

crazykat Thu 11-Dec-14 14:40:06

I had similar with cerazette. It got to the point where I'd had bleeding for four weeks out of six so went back to the GP and changed to micronor. With this I tend to have normal-ish periods. I have between four to six weeks between periods and they last five to seven days. I have long cycles when not taking contraception but usually have seven to ten days of bleeding so this is much better for me.

It can take six months for bleeding/spotting to settle down but from what oh describe I'd go back for a different pill. GPs tend to prescribe the cheapest first and most get on fine with it but sometimes you need a different brand.

The only problem with micronor is that it has to be taken in the same three hour window every day. I take it at lunchtime and have an alarm on my phone to remind me.

saltedcaramelicious Thu 11-Dec-14 14:40:17

The brand is Desomono which has desogestrel as active ingredient, the same as cerazette. I am hoping it's going to stop over the next few days, it's annoying more than anything.

DayLillie Thu 11-Dec-14 17:16:33

I had this with Cerazette. It was fine with the normal pop - I just had normal periods.

The usual pop have to be taken on time every day (3hr window), whereas cerazette (and its substitutes) usually have a 12hr window. I used to take mine at night and if I forgot it, I forgot it totally, and 12 hours was no help.

crazykat Thu 11-Dec-14 18:16:28

Micronor is northisterone (sp?) based which might work better for you.

The bleeding caused by cerazette drove me insane which is why I switched.

It can help to minimise spotting/bleeding to take it at the same time, or as close as possible, each day even if you do have a 12 hour window for it to be effective. If you're not too bothered by the bleeding then leave it till you've been taking it six months as its unlikely to change after that, or so my GP said. At the six month mark if you're still having lots of bleeding then ask for something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now