Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Naproxen making me feel sick

(17 Posts)
ihatethecold Thu 11-Dec-14 11:34:33

I'm taking naproxen for coccydynia.
It a condition with my coccyx whereby it's painful to sit.
The tablets are helping but I keep feeling a bit sick and quite tired.
Would the GP give me something else and would it be any better?

mrspottasbubble Thu 11-Dec-14 11:41:46

Did the doc give you a stomach liner to take with it? If not then ask for one.

TheFairyCaravan Thu 11-Dec-14 11:47:58

I was prescribed Naproxen, with Omeprazole to protect my stomach lining, but it still made me feel ill. I got horrendous heart burn that I'd never had before so I stopped taking it.

I was in terrible pain the other week so I took 1, my God, the heart burn shock! For the first time in my life I realised why people think they are having a heart attack when it is indigestion!

I stick with extra strength Ibuprofen now!

cathyandclaire Thu 11-Dec-14 11:49:03

How long have you been taking it for? Do you take it with food?
I think you should see your GP, Naproxen ( and lots of other similar medications) can irritate the stomach lining and cause ulcers. So maybe stick to paracetamol/cocodamol for the moment and get a check up.

cathyandclaire Thu 11-Dec-14 11:51:09

OP...if you've got stomach irritation it's probably good to avoid Ibuprofen too at the moment (until you've seen your doctor), that's in the same group of drugs.

losthermind Thu 11-Dec-14 11:51:25

I take naproxen for cauda equina syndrome
I have to eat and take omeprazol to stop the heartburn
Do not take any other ibuprofen type meds with it

mausmaus Thu 11-Dec-14 11:53:12

agree with others get back for omeprazole.
but you might take a break off anti inflammatories to give your stomach time to recover.

ihatethecold Thu 11-Dec-14 11:59:58

I only take them with food.
I have been on them for 1 week and I'm taking between 4 and 5 250mg tablets per day.
I wasn't given anything else to take with them.

missnevermind Thu 11-Dec-14 18:37:35

I was prescribed Naproxen, with Omeprazole and told to take it for a fortnight to see if it worked. But it didn't work for me so I ended up back on codine.

ChillySundays Thu 11-Dec-14 20:34:52

My doctor prescribed Naproxen as co-codamol made me so spaced out. Oh my the pain was worse than the pain I was taking them for. Gone back on to co-codamol - would rather cope with the spaced out feeling

ihatethecold Fri 12-Dec-14 10:04:53

I can't be spaced out I have to drive and be able to work.

ChillySundays Fri 12-Dec-14 11:31:28

I don't take them in the day as I too need to be able to drive and work.

You need to speak to speak to your doctor. Sounds like it is a common problem. I am not sure what other options there are

ihatethecold Fri 12-Dec-14 13:45:38

Thanks chilly.

hellomynameis Fri 12-Dec-14 17:26:48

>> I'm taking between 4 and 5 250mg tablets per day. <<

i think the max dose is 1000mg / day so 5 is too many.

flymetotheprune Fri 12-Dec-14 17:34:35

I've not taken mine for a couple of days because the pain in my stomach is so bad. Neck pain has kicked back in today but I'd rather that than keep taking the naproxen.

ChillySundays Fri 12-Dec-14 21:42:19

Fly - The advice is to stop taking if you get pain - if I remember correctly there is the risk of ulcers. I sure you are already trying but you need to see the doctor as soon as possible to get an alternative.

I didn't realize exactly how much the co-codamol was helping until I forgot to order my repeat prescription and like you by day 2 I was really hurting

ihatethecold Sat 13-Dec-14 07:48:11

hellomynameis
I have been told to take 6 a day a first then reduce as needed.
I did read the insert and that was shown to be a dose that was recommended.
I only had 1 yesterday with an ibroprufen.
I still felt nauseous yesterday eve.
My lower back feels worse though.
It's like catch 22.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now