Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have developed psoriasis

(9 Posts)
superbagpuss Wed 10-Dec-14 19:15:02

at the age of 33

doctor doesn't understand it and neither do I

so what do I need to know?

RockinD Wed 10-Dec-14 19:51:35

I developed it at the age of 35, completely out of the blue, no family history, no nothing' but after a respiratory infection, which is quite common.

Roobix04 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:56:03

I've had it on the back of my neck since I was 12. Could never put anything on it as the cream just made my hairline sticky and sweaty which just made everything worse. After using nasty tgel for 10 years I've discovered that the body shop's ginger anti dandruff shampoo is practically a miracle cure and apparently I'm not the only one.

superbagpuss Thu 11-Dec-14 08:07:51

thats interesting, I have recently had a cheast infection so I wonder if the two are connected?

Did it go quite quickly?

RockinD Thu 11-Dec-14 10:31:20

That was in 1991. I finally got shot of it in 2013 when, coincidentally, I finally got my underactive thyroid treated. Up to then I had had a permanent patch on one arm and other more transient ones on my scalp, my legs, the bottoms of my feet and my bum. I am finally able to wear short sleeves again, just as my bar mitzvah wings go into overdrive!

That's not what you wanted to hear, is it?

Your chest infection is probably significant. Have a google, there seems to be lots on there. Looks like it's a strep thing.

Fingeronthebutton Thu 11-Dec-14 11:06:13

Total sympathy. What I don't understand is that 'my Dr doesn't understand it'
This is a pretty common condition.
Mine disappeared when my stressful situation finished.

superbagpuss Thu 11-Dec-14 13:23:47

sorry - what the dr did not understand is why I would randomly get Psoriasis at 33, it is not a normal time to develop it

The last year my life has been an episode of house with lots of things going wrong and no reasons for any of them.

Annbag Thu 11-Dec-14 13:30:49

I have it and am from a family that do. It can show itself at any age - your doctor should know that! My Grandad got it in his 80s, and I'm in my 30s and have the paint drop one that's common in children not adults.

There is a thing like others have said about having it after throat infections. Mine used to get worse after those.

In terms of managing it - trial and error really. Some people prefer the stronger creams on prescription, others find cutting out perfumed soaps etc can help. Mine gets better in the sun, but its different for everyone. Good luck x

Annbag Thu 11-Dec-14 13:32:36

In fact early 30s is a peak time to get it! https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/pages/view/about-psoriasis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now