Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Stomach Ulcers?

(11 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Wed 10-Dec-14 00:05:10

What's the main symptoms? I've been having really bad stomach pains last two evenings and worried it's more than my usual IBS.
I've been on anti inflammatories for nearly two years now due to arthritis.
Pain is between my rib cage quite high in my tummy. It started yesterday after eating chips! It was excruciating last night, tonight it's painful but more of a gnawing/growling pain.

mawinter Wed 10-Dec-14 06:35:42

Heatburn!

Icantstopeatinglol Wed 10-Dec-14 07:02:58

Yep got that. Dr seems to think could be gastritis but I'm not so sure sad

JimmyChoosChimichanga Wed 10-Dec-14 07:08:04

Are you on NSAIDs such Ibuprofen, they eat their way through my guts in just a few days! The most popular side effect is gastric irritation/ulceration with NSAIDS.

mawinter Wed 10-Dec-14 07:11:59

Were you given anything to protect your stomach along with the anti inflammatories? Because you really should have.

There is a number of things which can cause the gnawing growling pain, really far, far too many. But with what you describe and what you ate suggests heartburn.

I suffer from GERD and occasionally get heartburn and this is exactly what it feels like during an attack.

Have you tried some Gaviscon?

Bunbaker Wed 10-Dec-14 07:14:42

DD is on anti-inflammatories, and takes lansoprazole to protect her stomach. Are you not taking any acid suppressant medication? If not your doctor has been negligent.

Icantstopeatinglol Wed 10-Dec-14 22:20:16

Thanks for the replies. I'm on a strong daily anti inflammatory for arthritis and have been for two years (etodolac). I was actually given stomach protector tablets but due to my own stupidity, I was on all sorts of tablets with terrible side effects, I forgot about them and just never restarted them. I've got lansoprazole now off my dr. Just been worried I've damaged my tummy now sad
I feel constantly hungry! I've literally had a big bowl of pasta tonight and my stomach is growling as if I'm starving!
I'm just going to keep an eye on it and hope it calms down.
Thanks all.

mawinter Thu 11-Dec-14 06:32:46

Have you been on any antibiotics recently?

mrspottasbubble Thu 11-Dec-14 10:25:50

What type of arthritis do you have? NSAID's did nothing for me and made me have they symptoms you do so I was taken off them.I have DMARD's now instead.

Icantstopeatinglol Thu 11-Dec-14 19:29:21

Hi mrspottas I've got psoriatic arthritis. I'm actually on humira (biological drug) and it has helped loads! I'm just not sure stopping the NSAIDs are a good idea yet as I've only been on them 4/5 months and I still feel it if I miss one.
I was on methotrexate but it made me ill.

Icantstopeatinglol Thu 11-Dec-14 19:30:11

Only been on humira 5 months that is. I've been on NSAIDs 2 years.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: