Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scar getting darker

(5 Posts)
OldRoan Tue 09-Dec-14 21:39:22

I had an operation several months ago. I thought the scar was beginning to fade but now I am convinced it is getting darker (and has been for the past few days). It was a pinky-red, but now it is dark purple/brown/black in places. It looks like bruising/old blood, but it definitely wasn't there before.

Is it likely to be old bruising working its way up to the surface? Or is it more likely to be fresh damage to the scar tissue? Either way, I'm assuming it isn't anything to worry (much) about. Slightly disconcerting though.

lemisscared Tue 09-Dec-14 21:42:20

Id be inclined to go and sjow the nurse just to ensure all is well. Which it probably is but doesn't hurt to check. I have old op scars they are white in the middle and pigmented around the outside. What was your op for?

OldRoan Tue 09-Dec-14 21:45:42

It was a hip replacement.

I have old scars too, and they have faded. I thought this one was, it just looks a bit odd if that makes sense. It doesn't hurt at all. It just seems to have...changed.

lemisscared Tue 09-Dec-14 21:47:50

It might be because there's a lot of movement in that area. Ouchie!!! Its probably fine but doesn't hurt to check.

OldRoan Tue 09-Dec-14 22:50:39

I hadn't thought of that - I am moving it a lot more.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now