Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prescribed Sertraline 50mg

(9 Posts)
MistyMistletoe Tue 09-Dec-14 14:10:57

Hi

Sorry longish post! I'm just wanting other perspectives on my situation.

I previously posted about my recent chronic ill health Previous Post

I did visit GP who said my symptoms could indicate anything from MS, ME, Thyroid to fibromyalgia. Had blood tests which showed I was deficient in vit D and cell count indicated I was fighting an infection but over the worst. Thyroid was fine.

My DH accompanied me to my last visit to GP. GP changed tact from what he'd said before and did not offer any further tests or diagnose me with what he'd suggested before. He said it was his opinion that I was suffering from post viral fatigue and my body was reacting to long term stress I had endured coupled with menopausal symptoms (already on HRT) and working in a very stressful job (I have been looking for alternative employment for some time).

His suggestion was to commence a course of anti depressants. I don't feel at all depressed and told the GP this. He said he wasn't prescribing for depression but for chronic long term stress. I said I didn't feel stressed either. His reply was that I had become desensitised to what being stressed felt like confused

I thought DH would back me up but instead supported the GP's view about long term work related stress. Nonetheless DH did say my mood was stable and I was 'happy enough' but slept poorly, had no concentration, was achy painy on activity and lacked the energy to enjoy previous activities.

In an attempt to try to help myself feel better I accepted the advice of the GP and walked out with a prescription for Sertraline 50mg.

Started them yesterday and side effects awful.

Thank you for reading & do you have any comments? Please don't be too harsh as my head hurts (side effect)

Kittykat7 Tue 09-Dec-14 14:36:22

Try breaking them in 1/2 & take 25mg for the first 2 weeks. That will lessen the side effects as it builds up slowly. I have always been advised from my psychiatrist when trying any new meds to start in 1/2 a dose.
I think Drs are quick to try anti d's if nothing else is working or they just don't know. Maybe try it for a few months & see if you feel any different & your symptoms improve.

MistyMistletoe Tue 09-Dec-14 15:22:12

Thank you Kitty' I considered that then I thought if I did the side effects would last twice as long. I've already taken today's but if I pluck up enough courage might split tomorrow's.

I also think my mindset isn't right to enable the ad to have a therapeutic effect. I don't believe I need them and currently feel so much more worse (amongst other things, feeling anxious when I didn't before) than I did before the 'script sad

I've promised myself that I will persevere for 2 weeks as ive read this is only as long as side effects last.

MistyMistletoe Tue 09-Dec-14 22:59:58

<Sweeps tumble weed up> Anyone around? fhmm

Azquilith Tue 09-Dec-14 23:03:09

ADs in my experience work like any other meds, you don't have to 'believe' they're going to work for them to work. It's like paracetamol for a headache. Give it a few days. Break them in half.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 09-Dec-14 23:04:04

I wouldn't take them in your situation. I've been prescribed sertraline twice for depression and anxiety, and it was fantastic for me in both situations, but you don't sound as if you really need them.

I would go back to the GP, without your DH, and talk things through again.

Vit D deficiency can affect all sorts of things, I would look at treating that and then see how you feel rather than taking other medication that you don't need.

I'd also be having a serious chat with my husband about exactly where his priorities lay and WTF did he think he was playing at.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 09-Dec-14 23:05:08

But they will take a good month or longer to have any beneficial effect on the OP, should she infect need them. It isn't a question of taking them for a few days and seeing how you feel.

MistyMistletoe Tue 09-Dec-14 23:35:38

Thank you Az' & Ali

I totally get what you both mean and I have pondered the points you both raise including DH's motivation to say what he did.

The point is is that he has seen how I have physically deteriorated over the past 7 years or so and he is frightened that this is as good as it will be for me. In his thinking if ad's work to address any underlying stress my physical health will improve. I wish I could be that confident.

I'm convinced I have fibro or even ms. I have suffered chronic insomnia since surgical menopause and this is what I feel creates stress for me (done online sleepio course, meditation, yoga, camomile tea, valerian, mag' etc, etc) . Poor sleep equates for lower mood and becoming over reactive to daily stresses until it becomes difficult to function on a day to day basis.

I suppose I am prepared to try anything to improve my situation, health and ultimately my wellbeing. Nonetheless I never considered ad meds could be the solution.

MistyMistletoe Tue 09-Dec-14 23:41:28

One side effect im struggling with is wakefulness but feeling utterly tired yet wired. Hence I'm awake now sad. Before ad's I would go to sleep between 22:00 -23:00 but suffered regular wakings during night and then be finally awake and unable to return to sleep from as early as 3:00 am onwards. To say I'm totally shattered is an under statement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now