Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Whitlow! Ouch!

(15 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Sun 07-Dec-14 15:30:51

How do I get rid of,it?

The side of my fore finger is very hot and painful. I'm pretty sure it's a whitlow.

Tia

Bluestocking Sun 07-Dec-14 15:51:25

Poor you, they are horrid, and really painful. If you've had it for a few days and it's not getting better, you might need antibiotics. Have you got a nearby NHS walk-in centre?

BaconAndAvocado Sun 07-Dec-14 15:57:29

No I haven't, I'll have to make an appointment. What a pain!

southeastastra Sun 07-Dec-14 16:03:48

what's the thing where you have to drop a bible on it?

Bluestocking Sun 07-Dec-14 16:04:37

That's a ganglion. Don't drop a bible on your poor whitlow!!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 07-Dec-14 16:07:19

Soak in warm water as well. and post a klaxon

Squeegle Sun 07-Dec-14 16:09:24

Unbelievable painful!!! I agree. Soak it in hot water it may burst it. Take painkillers. If not better tomorrow see a doctor/nurse.

FourthMary Sun 07-Dec-14 16:13:24

Dh has had two of these recently. Try soaking in really hot salt water, but I think you probably will need to see someone for strong antibiotics.

The redness and heat is a sign of infection. Dh ended up at a&e as he got red lines going up his arm (tracking) and feeling hot and shivery. The doc cut it open and an impressive amount of puss came out.

Don't leave it too long op.

INeedSomeHelp Sun 07-Dec-14 16:17:12

I had one of these years ago but didn't know what it was at the time. It was very painful but the relief when it burst was immense!
If I ever got one again I would definitely go for antibiotics.

Knottyknitter Sun 07-Dec-14 16:19:33

Lance it with a clean needle over the yellowest bit. Once the pus is out they heal really fast, bout stick some Savlon on it.

Valsoldknickers Sun 07-Dec-14 16:19:49

Ouch, poor you sad

I had one years ago as a child and the GP lanced it in his surgery. The pus practically hit the ceiling as the pressure had built up so much! The relief was magnificent. I can't remember whether I needed antibiotics or not, but I definitely had to soak my finger in hot salty water afterwards a couple of times a day for a few days.

Good luck.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 07-Dec-14 21:22:21

Sitting here with said whitlow in hot water........DH is determined to get me to burst it with a needle but I know I'd sod it up and make it worse!

Docs here I come!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 08-Dec-14 07:37:55

Sil had one when we were on hol a few years ago. Went under nail. She let me lance it. Happy days.

Kittykat7 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:22:16

You can buy some drawing paste from the chemist called Magnesium Sulphate. You apply it & put a plaster over it. It will draw it up to a head.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 09-Dec-14 15:54:44

Whitlow has mysteriously disappeared. Yippee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now