Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial ablation

(22 Posts)

I'm booked in for this next month.

Has anybody had one? Did you go back to work the next day? Did it substantially reduce your periods? Was it painful?

Am so glad that finally something is being done, but rather nervous!

QOD Sun 07-Dec-14 15:16:52

No pain. .watery discharge for a few days and I took a week off as.my understanding was sort of watery blisters inside so I took it easy. Plus anaesthetics knock me for 6
I had boiling water ablation

Thank you. The leaflet I've got says I should be okay the next day, but everything I've seen online suggests otherwise.

Nobody else?

tunaandcheesesandwich Sun 07-Dec-14 19:45:52

I haven't had this done, but I'm thinking of doing it. Had other gynae ops and have been grotty the next day from the general anaesthetic, so I would book it off work just in case.

Thanks, Tuna. I'll book the next day off, certainly.

Cocolepew Sun 07-Dec-14 20:03:25

I had one but had a bladdder repair at the same time so had 8 weeks off work! I had no bleeding at all afterwards, though I know some people have spotting.
It will grow back again over a couple of years.

guggenheim Sun 07-Dec-14 20:04:49

Hi,I had this done several years ago and it has worked very well. Even now my periods are 'normal' as in normal quantities of pain which can be dealt with using pain killer and resting.The op was very successful.

I'm a bit surprised at the going back to work the next day thing though because these kinds of ops aren't a precise kind of a thing. Mine took 2+ hours in the end because it was just much more complicated than had been anticipated.

I think that if it is a small keyhole surgery then you would be fine to go back the next day,but don't assume that will be the case,it might take longer and you might need a bit more recovery time.

Personally I would take some time off work and lounge round at home with some good books. Give yourself some time to recover.

Hope it all goes really well and it very quick for you. Well worth having done- paved the way to successful ivf for me : )

Thanks, both.

I thought that you were not allowed to have it if you hoped to get pregnant later?

guggenheim Sun 07-Dec-14 20:16:39

Blimey- don't know. I had to begin down regging immediately but I can't remember any real details. I had a big cyst drained and most of the endo scarring (or whatever it is) removed. Some was left behind because it was in a place which was too difficult to remove safely. This causes a small amount of pain at times and may be growing again. I'm headed toward menopause so I don't suppose that will be of concern for much longer.

It was a while ago- 6 + years so my memory of the details are probably not great and procedures may have changed but I definitely began the ivf down regulation immediately afterwards.

Just so you know,the scars are tiny and have faded to two raised bumps on my stomach near my hips.: )

QOD Sun 07-Dec-14 21:31:18

Gugge I think you had a laparoscopy? A look round inside your abdominal cavity?
Ablation is burning away lining if womb with boiling water balloon or some sort of chemical something or other?
You can't safely carry child after

TheFairyCaravan Sun 07-Dec-14 23:35:42

I've had this done. I really would recommend it. It made a massive difference to my periods, I am now able to leave the house and can wear what I like, instead of having to stay at home for the first couple of days and wearing black because of the flooding.

I would say you need 48 hours, maybe 72, off work because of the GA more than anything.

53Dragon Sun 07-Dec-14 23:42:11

Worked brilliantly for me - I've posted loads about it under my old name fortyplus

53Dragon Sun 07-Dec-14 23:44:28

You can't drive a car after a GA - depending in your insurance it will be 24 or 48 hours.
And no you mustn't get pregnant after ablation. It's unlikely that you could conceive but if you did then you would need a termination.

guggenheim Mon 08-Dec-14 17:16:49

umm...sorry,yes I did. blush

That was the jobbie indeed. I think I was confused permanently because the reason for my surgery and probably infertility was endometriosis.

Ahem- I will actually pay attention next time I need medical treatment.
'twas useful for sorting out massively painful peroids though.

bryonyelf Mon 08-Dec-14 17:22:53

I am one of a tiny percentage that it didn't work for and I knew within 10 days that it hadn't. I ended up with a hysterectomy 9 months later. I had to keep a diary for 6 months to prove ablation didn't work for the consultant before he would do the hysterectomy although he agreed when I saw him that it hadnt worked.

I took 72 hours off work. OP was fine. Recovering from GA was long.

Cocolepew Mon 08-Dec-14 18:01:02

I needed a hysterectomy 3 years after having it done, wish I'd gone for it first tbh.
When my lining started to grow back I started to bleed into the wall of my womb (adenomyosis) and needed a year off work before and after my hysterectomy.

Cocolepew Mon 08-Dec-14 18:01:05

I needed a hysterectomy 3 years after having it done, wish I'd gone for it first tbh.
When my lining started to grow back I started to bleed into the wall of my womb (adenomyosis) and needed a year off work before and after my hysterectomy.

Thanks, all.

Blimey, Coco - that sounds awful.

I'm not having a GA. They mostly do it with a local one now, it seems. But it sounds as though I might need to warn work that I could need a couple of days off afterwards.

After a weekend of the most appalling heavy bleeding, and the resulting weakness due to anaemia, I really, really hope that it's going to work!

QOD Mon 08-Dec-14 21:19:49

I woke in the night with awful pains Saturday night so I think mine is failing now. Been about 7 years?

Thanks, QOD. Hope you're feeling better now.

QOD Wed 10-Dec-14 18:59:12

My periods only last 2 days thankfully ... but I've had 3 this last 5 weeks ...
peri meno dammit lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now