Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any podiatrists about?

(10 Posts)
Dutchoma Sun 07-Dec-14 13:14:34

In July of this year I had some pain in the sole of my foot and went to see a podiatrist thinking it might be a corn. She did a full 'service' on my feet. In September there was still some pain in the same place on my (right) foot, so I asked if she could have another look. She said it was not a corn but a verruca. She treated it in five treatments between 8th September and 20th October, each time saying that it was nearly gone, but not quite. The treatments were painful and in the end I'm afraid I said that it had better be gone as I was fed up with the thing. In between treatments she said to treat it with an emery board and surgical spirit and I carried on with that till now. However there is still a sore spot on my foot and I'm wondering whether to go back to her or to hope that it will simply go away eventually

pinkfrocks Mon 08-Dec-14 16:19:49

why don't you buy some over the counter treatment like Bazuka and treat it yourself then if it doesn't go you can see your GP and have treatment which may involve cutting it out if it's large and deep?

You don't need to be paying a podiatrist for something as common as a verucca- treat it at home or see GP.

iwantginsoakedXmas Mon 08-Dec-14 21:51:53

Veruccas are tricky to get rid of.

There are various 'home' remedies which claim to have as much success as the medical treatments.

I have a couple - one has been there for ummm 20 years? I have treated a newer one successfully with apple cider vinegar and duct tape. And a sharp blade. (ouch).

Let me see if I can find the old thread.

iwantginsoakedXmas Mon 08-Dec-14 21:53:11

iwantginsoakedXmas Mon 08-Dec-14 21:53:29

This is the one www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2202612-eek-just-pulled-a-root-out-my-verruca?pg=1

Dutchoma Mon 08-Dec-14 23:05:01

Thanks for that thread. I didn't read it all. I think I shall leave it well alone now. If the podiatrist could not get the root out I don't think I have much hope. It is almost invisible anyway.

pinkfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 08:37:28

TBH 5 treatments is not a lot- sometimes it can take months and months.

Dutchoma Tue 09-Dec-14 08:42:34

I got a bit fed up at paying £23 a week for months and months

pinkfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 10:10:19

I know smile that's why I suggested treating it yourself- all the stuff you buy OTC is a weak form of salicylic acid which gradually removes layers of skin, and you use the file to remove the skin too.
If it doesn't go by doing this then why not see your GP if it really hurts and they can try to remove it surgically?

Dutchoma Tue 09-Dec-14 10:35:43

I don't think GPs deal with verrucas any more. That is one of the cutbacks in our area at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now