Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Badly chapped lips

(53 Posts)
catsofa Sun 07-Dec-14 12:47:23

Every winter I get badly chapped lips. This year I've already gone through an entire pot of Body Shop lip balm, and my bottom lip is in danger of proper, painful cracking any minute now. I'm terrified of leaving the house and forgetting to take the balm with me. It hurts.

Is there something else I should be doing or using? I am pregnant, if it matters, so medicated balm might possibly be forbidden to me (it's really weird some of the stuff contraindicated in pregnancy!), but probably not.

Is there anything I can eat or do to help apart from keeping lip balm on my lips? I know some people say that balm makes it worse/keeps you dependent on balm all the time, but I really couldn't have avoided it with how dry and painful and cracked they got early this winter.

Should I start wearing a balaclava? Would that scare the shit out of people walking past me in the street? Might that be quite fun? confused

KareninsGirl Sun 07-Dec-14 13:08:37

I swear by vaseline. lots of it smile

magimedi Sun 07-Dec-14 13:10:46

ELizabeth Arden, 8 hour cream put on just before going to sleep really helps.

During the day I use Lanolips - pure lanolin.

Am afraid that both are a bit pricy but last for years & 8 Hour cream is also wonderful on any other minor skin problems.

bonzo77 Sun 07-Dec-14 13:10:54

Carmex. I keep some in all my coat pockets and handbags, and in the car in have a few in the house. I also panic if I'm without.

fuctifino Sun 07-Dec-14 13:12:14

Neutrogena lip salve.

emmaray90 Sun 07-Dec-14 13:13:16

Definitely Vaseline, I'm the same in winter, but use Vaseline and its cleared up in no time, and keep using to keep chapped lips away, I think I keep Vaseline in business at this time of year...

MexicoRash Sun 07-Dec-14 13:16:06

Lip cream with bees wax in is supposed to be really good.

JammyTodger Sun 07-Dec-14 13:18:09

Could you be allergic to lanolin? Most lip balms contain it and it took me ages to realise that it was actually the lip balm causing my agony. My lips have been much better since avoiding any with lanolin in. Lush do some good ones.

princessnumber2 Sun 07-Dec-14 13:19:31

Thick Vaseline overnight and thin coat every time you leave the house.

All the other lip 'balms' just irritate my lips and make them more dry.

EliotAusten Sun 07-Dec-14 13:20:37

I suffer from this too - looks awful as well as being quite sore. Elizabeth Arden 8 hour balm is the best. I did read that petroleum based balms make it worse as they are drying. It is expensive but if you can apply it at the right time to catch the attack before the skins splits, a tub should last all winter.

radiobedhead Sun 07-Dec-14 13:21:46

I think I'm allergic to lanolin and Vaseline type stuff. They dry my lips out even more.

I now avoid most balms and use that proper medicated type blistex stuff - looks more like a cream.

fuctifino Sun 07-Dec-14 13:23:00

Vaseline makes my lips very sore before they were sore and if I put it on before bed, my lips look like prunes in the morning.
Weird how it seems to work for others.

radiobedhead Sun 07-Dec-14 13:23:31

Relief cream m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Blistex-Relief-Cream-5g_1258505/

Intensive moisturiser m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Blistex-Intensive-Moisturiser-Hydrating-Lip-Cream-SPF10-5g_1145/

fuctifino Sun 07-Dec-14 13:25:41

Should say Neutrogena Norwegian Formula to be precise.

muntermonster Sun 07-Dec-14 13:26:19

I use Vaseline but when my lips get really dry I switch to carmex (in the pot, not the tube, which is softer and less rich), as I find it more heavy-duty. And when you have it on, try to avoid rubbing lips together - I used to do that but find it stops the balm working ... you just need to let it sit there and sink in.

Blistex, the one in the little metal tube, works really well for me, I don't lick it off like I do balms. Then use balm (or wear lipstick) every time you step out the door when it's cold in this weather.

Selks Sun 07-Dec-14 13:33:28

Vaseline and most lip balms are made from petroleum jelly, which many people finds dries their lips out more with prolonged use. I'd try to find a balm that has genuine moisturising qualities such as Burt's Bees lip balm which I find brilliant, it's made with beeswax and natural oils.

HurlyBurghley Sun 07-Dec-14 13:49:34

Having tried just about every brand, I think Chapstick is the best, especially the medicated one You can get it in Boots and Superdrug.

HurlyBurghley Sun 07-Dec-14 13:50:44

Ooops sorry just read the medicated bit in your OP! All chapsticks are good though.

Pasithea Sun 07-Dec-14 13:56:53

I make sure I apply my normal moisturisers to my lips especially at night. Estée launders night repair serum has made a huge difference to both my lips and fingers. Which really get chapped

Alyosha Sun 07-Dec-14 14:26:37

Are you licking your lips/rubbing them together? I second 8-hour cream recommendation. When you put it or Vaseline on, make it a very, very thick layer sitting on top of your lips. Try not to dislodge it by licking or rubbing. Vaseline acts as a hermectant (sp?) so it stops moisture leaving your lips. It should do the trick if left on long enough. I've also found Blistex works very well.

izzybizzybuzzybees Sun 07-Dec-14 14:48:36

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. There is nothing I've found that beats it!

catsofa Sun 07-Dec-14 15:28:43

I've just got back from the supermarket where I bought a Chapstick Original, so glad to see that's recommended here. It does seem a bit thicker than the Body Shop stuff I've been using.

I will slowly work my way through all your suggestions for the rest of the winter, thanks everyone!

BooDidIScareYou Sun 07-Dec-14 15:48:45

Carmex. Multiple pots. One in your bag, one in pocket, one next to the bed...you get the picture. I get panicky if I don't have any with me.

I also use 8 hr cream at night if its particularly bad...find it a bit sticky for daytime.

I've also read that drinking lots of water is helpful

catsofa Sun 07-Dec-14 15:54:10

grin I drink loads and loads of fluids and it's slowly becoming a problem, with being pregnant and needing to pee all the time! The midwife is always impressed with my nice pale pee though.

I definitely need more than one pot, I need to keep something in every pocket and bag that I might ever take out of the house.

My poor cat smells of cherries due to being kissed on the head with Body Shop lip balm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now