Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

My rheumatologist has referred me to a neurologist...why???

(5 Posts)
coffeetofunction Sat 06-Dec-14 16:48:15

I recently get seen by a rheumatologist as I've have developed very painful arthritis. The DR suspected it was reactive arthritis & gave me a steroid injection, to return in January & all should have cleared up (it hasn't). In the mean time I have received a letter for an appointment to a neurologist... Now I'm actually quiet please about this as I was planning on a visit to GP to discuss my health. I suffer with a tremor, pins & needles in my mouth, legs & feet. Also my speech can become very slurred at times. sometimes i become extremely tired, on occasions exhausted....I have come to wonder of they are linked.

What I'm wondering is why the rheumatologist has made the referral to the neurologist, anyone gave any ideas???



It could be they want to check that there aren't other reasons for speech problems. And if there isn't then they can sort out your correct medication. They are the specialists so trust them, i am sorry to hear what you are going through i have RA too and understand how you must be feeling. X

wonkylegs Sat 06-Dec-14 22:46:09

My rheumatologist referred me to a neurologist years ago when they found out I had a tremor just to rule out anything serious.
I have rheumatoid arthritis and it turns out I have a benign essential tremor which was made worse by one of my RA medications.
Still have the rheumatologist & the RA but signed off by the neurologist.

coffeetofunction Sun 07-Dec-14 18:09:54

Thank you for sharing, it helps to know others have had the same experience.

RunnerHasbeen Tue 09-Dec-14 13:24:33

Mine wasn't a neurologist but I was referred to an endocrinologist by my rheumatologist to rule out the arthritis being a symptom of something else. It sounds like you would want to see one anyway with those symptoms, so consultant-consultant referral is actually a good thing (means they are communicating and you will probably be seen quickly). Hope they get to the bottom of it and you start to feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: