Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone's Mum have severe osteoporosis? Support thread?

(7 Posts)
Ihatemakingpackedlunches Fri 05-Dec-14 11:03:15

Hi,
My Mum is nearly 77 years old and has been diagnosed with osteoporosis since her early 60's - though I'm sure osteopenia started well before then.

She has severe scoliosis of the spine and has had more wedge fractures than I care to imagine. But recently she has been in pain since "sitting down in the garden" - in August; and is still in pain now.
She's seen her consultant who pretty much said there's nothing they can do now - she's already had all sorts of medications and treatments. It's hard for me to see her in so much pain and also that she may never improve enough to go back to her old quality of life.

Anyone out there in a similar position?

pinkfrocks Fri 05-Dec-14 11:49:02

have you thought about contacting the National Osteoporosis Society? They have local support groups and there may be families like you so you could 'buddy up'

Ihatemakingpackedlunches Fri 05-Dec-14 12:00:43

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at their local support groups, but none really that local to us!

Matildathecat Fri 05-Dec-14 13:20:27

Has she been referred to a Pain Management Clinic? They offer an holistic range of treatments .

Redglitter Fri 05-Dec-14 13:24:50

Can i just point out its not just mums that get osteoporosis dad's do too. Mine developed severe osteoporosis in his 50s

the NOS are a great organisation my dad raised quite a bit of money over the years for them and couldn't speak highly enough of them

Ihatemakingpackedlunches Fri 05-Dec-14 13:44:01

Yes, Matilda, she's just been referred to a pain management clinic - took a lot of pressure on the GP and just hoping the wait isn't too long.
Redglitter - sorry didn't mean to generalise, you're right it affects men too.

Ihatemakingpackedlunches Fri 05-Dec-14 13:47:06

And actually only just seen that they have a discussion forum on the NOS website, which looks great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now