Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast enlargement

(9 Posts)
Talkstotrees Fri 05-Dec-14 09:39:25

Hello fellow mums. I'm not sure where this post should go, any advice would be most welcome. My 17 year old daughter is completely flat-chested, and I mean completely. She hates it. She's not skinny (8st 4 at 5'2") so it's not a lack of fat and has been having periods for 4 years so she's not a late developer. She would dearly love to have breast enlargement surgery and has read up a lot about it. My question is, where do I look to help her to find the best surgeon? I am completely in the dark and would be very grateful for some guidance. Thank you.

LadyFlumpalot Fri 05-Dec-14 09:45:06

Hiya, I'm in the same boat as your daughter (32 AAA) - however I'm 30. I don't think any surgeons would be happy performing breast augmentation on a 17 year old.

I went to my GP for advice (NOT to ask for a freebie before anyone lynchs me) and was told that the small local private surgeries are usually the best option, not the ones in the back of glossy magazines.

I would suggest she makes an appointment with her GP to rule out medical reasons and to have a serious discussion about the procedure and the after care involved.

Talkstotrees Fri 05-Dec-14 10:02:28

Thank you so much. I will make an appointment with our GP. She will be 18 in the summer and was hoping that she could get it done before she goes to University. She is the same size as you and finds it so hard to get bras, bikinis, clothes that fit and look nice. If you have any other tips or advice re finding clothes I (and she) would be very grateful.

LadyFlumpalot Fri 05-Dec-14 15:44:09

I got a 2 sizes bigger bra from Marks and Sparks and even though I don't have any breast tissue to push up, it looks good under clothes - gives me some shape.

Otherwise I would recommend clothes that are fitted at the waist. Bikinis - I've given up, I go for just normal sporty swimming costumes.

VeryPunny Fri 05-Dec-14 15:49:06

It's worth a chat with a GP to check if there's a reason for lack of breast tissue, if she doesn't look naturally flat chested IYSWIM? Some cases of breast hypoplasia can be treated using cosmetic surgery on the NHS.

QueenofWhatever Fri 05-Dec-14 17:41:42

Does she have very small breasts or is there a complete absence of breast tissue? The latter is a recognised medical condition and NHS funding is available in some areas for this. I'd check with the GP or check your local Clinical Commissioning Group's website.

tiffanygraff Mon 08-Dec-14 06:22:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Talkstotrees Wed 10-Dec-14 10:25:08

Hello again. Thank you very much for the constructive advice - I'm glad I missed the deleted post. Although if you feel very strongly tiffanygraff (don't know to tag you) and if you have any useful information to share with me please feel free to pm me.

DD has seen the GP and he has referred her to a respected consultant surgeon.

midori1999 Wed 10-Dec-14 13:27:40

I have had two breast augmentations. One at 19 and one at 32. I now have a ruptured implant and as a result of that severe capsular contracture. Prior to that I was very happy with the results. One thing that I didn't consider at all initially was what would happen in future if my health deteriorated. I was very healthy at the time of my surgeries. However, I now have two autoimmune disorders and possibly type 2 diabetes too. Treatment for one of these is why I haven't so far been able to have my ruptured implant removed and I am in a lot of pain. It's likely that private surgeons will refer me back to the NHS for removal as private hospitals do not have facilities to cater for medical emergencies during surgery in most cases and none of my local NHS hospitals have private wings. Having any surgery now is life threatening to me and it is very different being forced to have a surgery I don't want to choosing to have it origanally.

Of course, your DD may not have any future complications and she may remain perfectly healthy and I hope she does, but it's something to consider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now