Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So embarrassed, smelly genitals?

(10 Posts)
Embarrassedtobeasking Thu 04-Dec-14 23:00:04

Regular poster, Name changed for this as I'm so embarrassed.. Naice, pombears, penis beaker ect..

This may be a bit TMI so sorry in advance

I'll just cut right to the point. Last week I noticed my dp's penis was smelling pretty gross, fishy ect.. We both shower every day and he's cleaned it when I've said anything but it's smelt like it constantly since.

Over past few days I've noticed my vagina has also started smelling really off, quite fishy and just horrible.

I've googled and found nothing that could explain why both of our genitals are smelling? Not just after sex but in general.

I've seen about BV but I think that's only supposed to be me, but his started smelling off before mine did.

We're both very clean people, shower every day ect..

I'm really hoping someone can help me as I don't know what to do; getting to a gp is hard as I have a 3 month old dd.

I'm also really hoping no one thinks it's an STI as would break my heart sad

Thanks for reading.. So sorry for the gory details but the smell, and suspicion is driving me crazy flowers for anyone who's read this and hoping desperately someone can help

InfinitySeven Thu 04-Dec-14 23:07:13

The only thing that I can think of would be an infection, or an STI. I think you'll both need to visit a gum clinic... I'm so sorry. They are quite discrete, I think, and you can have it done quickly during a lunchtime.

All the best.

minipie Thu 04-Dec-14 23:12:33

Poor you. It does sound a lot like BV. I had a quick google and apparently while men don't get BV, they can (in rare cases) get something called balanitis which is linked to the BV bacteria, so that might explain your DP having it too?

The causes of BV aren't clear but cleaning too much (douching etc) can definitely make it more likely/worse. So my first suggestion would be that you both use nothing but water on your bits for a week or so, and avoid sex, and see if that helps. Next suggestion is definitely go to the GP - don't be embarrassed, they will have dealt with it loads before and if it is BV there are treatments.

Best of luck.

Embarrassedtobeasking Thu 04-Dec-14 23:13:00

Thank you for replying. Oh no sad I'm praying and hoping he hasn't cheated on me. Do you know of any sti's that would cause a smell? I'm going to try to get to a clinic but is hard with DD

Embarrassedtobeasking Thu 04-Dec-14 23:14:22

X post mini Thank you! Do you know if BV is contagious?

McSqueezy Thu 04-Dec-14 23:15:17

This is one of those situations not worth speculating over the Internet. It could be something or nothing serious.

You really need to get yourself either to the GUM clinic, or to yoy GP for swabs. That will tell you all you need to know.

Allstoppedup Thu 04-Dec-14 23:19:02

Sounds like BV to me. You can get an over the counter treatment, Balance Activ, I think. You could pick some up, treat yourself (abstain from anything with partner) and then see if it clears up?

It Makes sense your DP might smell a bit off if you are both exposed to the same bacteria. Hope it turns out to be something simple . Try not to worry too much. flowers

MinceSpy Thu 04-Dec-14 23:19:12

An smega build up smells fishy and can then upset the balance of your vagina and you end up with bv. You both need to see a doctor and get it treated. You need to use condoms until it is completely cleared

Allstoppedup Thu 04-Dec-14 23:20:48

Ooh and also meant to add go to your GP. grin

Embarrassedtobeasking Thu 04-Dec-14 23:28:46

Thank you, I will get some balance activ and use condoms until It smells like roses grin

And if not I will visit the clinic! sad Thank you all xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now