Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

any experience of pneumothorax?

(7 Posts)
bananaandcustard Thu 04-Dec-14 17:25:36

son has been diagnosed has having this in lung.

dont know much about it.

ChildOfGallifrey Thu 04-Dec-14 17:30:20

My sister had it for a few months until very recently. It closed on it's own without any intervention but it did cause her to have breathing difficulties at one point. Nothing life threatening but it scared her...was told to rest lots and avoid stress but her life is pretty hectic so wasn't able to do so hence the breathing difficulties. Hope your DS is ok...I know that if it hadn't closed on it's own a very simple procedure would have rectified it. NHS website has some great information on there.

ChildOfGallifrey Thu 04-Dec-14 17:33:43

www.patient.co.uk/health/pneumothorax-leaflet

Hope this helps

CuttedUpPear Thu 04-Dec-14 17:56:31

DP has had several due to emphysemia.
Each time he had to have the air syringed out of his chest cavity.
It escapes via the hole in the lung and then the lung can't expand because there is no room for it to do so.
The hole in the lung self repairs quite quickly but DP suffered lack of breath and sometimes distress due to oxygen levels dropping.

He eventually had a procedure done which was likened to putting talcum powder in the chest cavity around the lung.
This caused irritation, then and as the lung expanded to fill the chest cavity it became 'stuck' to the chest cavity in places (I think of it as being guyed out like a tent).

DP had this done four years ago and has been fine since.

PoshPenny Thu 04-Dec-14 18:57:35

Hi I had one, a spontaneous one. I think I did it mucking out a stable and certainly felt it happen, it was really painful, I just thought I'd pulled a muscle deep in my back. As a smoker back then, it took me a while to go to Drs about it, but the breathlessness and discomfort eventually forced me to after about a month or so, I can't really remember. Diagnosis confirmed by x Ray, then they put the needle through the chest and from that point was offered oramorph pretty much on demand, that chest drain hurt a lot. I had to stay in overnight, they let me out the following day. I carried on smoking for just over a year after that then managed to give up. Never had a recurrence of it thank goodness.

bananaandcustard Thu 04-Dec-14 20:31:47

thank you. has eased my mine somewhat.

been a stressful week!

Velvetbee Thu 04-Dec-14 21:35:44

I get them occasionally. I was a student nurse for the first 2 and had them aspirated but now I just take it easy for a couple of days and they go on their own. It's always the same place and I feel it pop, either when I'm laughing a lot, or running up the stairs, once during sex which killed the mood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now