Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is the difference between a cough and a chest infection? Have c section in a few days so am feeling worried

(10 Posts)
dottytablecloth Wed 03-Dec-14 22:35:33

I've had a cough for about 3 weeks. I've been hoping it'll disappear but not so far.

I never really go to the doctor as they can't do much about a cough, can they? confused

Anyway when I breathe my chest is rattling.

I'm worried it's a chest infection, am vomiting up phlegm/acid in the morning but I think it's just the coughing making me vomit. I had severe ms until 20 weeks and the vomiting was worse in the morning when I coughed.

Anyway I'm worried that I'll be lying in theatre coughing.

Can they give me anything for this? How do I know if it's a chest infection?

mineofuselessinformation Wed 03-Dec-14 22:51:50

Go to the doctor and find out! Good luck with it all. smile

dottytablecloth Wed 03-Dec-14 22:56:22

I know you are right but our GP surgery has a big sign up saying they can't do anything for coughs and colds!

mineofuselessinformation Thu 04-Dec-14 06:52:25

A chest infection isn't just a cough though, is it?
And you're about to have surgery.

AggressiveBunting Thu 04-Dec-14 06:55:20

The problem is that when plegm sits in your lungs for a long time, you can develop a secondary, bacterial infection, and that's when antibiotics are sometimes required. It's more common in small children and elderly people who have narrower tubes or less coughing power so can't just hawk it all up. I would go.

Bunbaker Thu 04-Dec-14 06:56:00

You don't know at this point whether it is just a cough. Go to the GP.

evertonmint Thu 04-Dec-14 07:14:11

A cough for 3 weeks should be checked out. They will then confirm if it's just a cough, which can't be treated, or a chest infection, which can. They say they can't treat coughs and colds because people make appointments on the day they start, but a lingering cough partic with other symptoms should be checked.

I've had 2 terrible chest infections in recent years and they started with a lingering cough which got worse after a couple of weeks.

Gunpowder Thu 04-Dec-14 07:23:09

I think you're advised to see the GP if you've had a cough for three weeks so they can rule out a chest infection. Definitely make an appointment!

Roonerspism Thu 04-Dec-14 07:29:06

Agree. They can't do much for colds, maybe. But coughs are different when they linger.... But cheeky your GP surgery!

Far better to get checked out ASAP and get the ABs if you need them so you are well for surgery. Good luck flowers

magso Thu 04-Dec-14 13:04:48

I agree its best if you see the GP, in case you need treatment before your surgery. Better to be safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now