Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Showering with stitches

(16 Posts)
Mrmonkey Wed 03-Dec-14 21:51:54

Hi I am hoping some wise person can help here, I had a small op today and have stitches in my back, how long until I can shower and wash myself properly? They are being removed in 12 days time and where they are means I can't lift my arms comfortably without the stitches pulling but I'm expected back at work on Friday and I'm very conscious that I will smell a bit by then!

Waswondering Wed 03-Dec-14 21:55:28

If you've had an op, and still have stitches, can you really go back to work? What was the aftercare advice?

I would be worried about getting a knock, or infection in the wound ....

CarrotCakeMuffins Wed 03-Dec-14 21:55:31

I had a C section and showered the next day (less than 24 hours later).
I would have thought that if you leave it until later on tomorrow, and wash gently you should be fine.

Hopefully wiser people will come and give their opinions too.

Hope you make a quick recovery!

Waswondering Wed 03-Dec-14 21:56:27

(Also showered the day after a c section. But did not go back to work a couple of days after!)

ChristmasJumperWearer Wed 03-Dec-14 21:58:24

Did you not get aftercare advice?

I had an abdominal operation and managed a shower a day or two later with the aid of cling film.

DH's had a leg operation and bought a special shower sleeve from the hospital to wear.

Stripylikeatiger Wed 03-Dec-14 21:59:42

I had stitches for a tear in labour (quite a lot of stitches!) and they encouraged me to shower right away.

Mrmonkey Wed 03-Dec-14 22:30:53

Aftercare advice was not to get them wet and work wanted me back tomorrow so I thought Friday was a compromise, although I need someone to drive me as I'm guessing it will still be uncomfortable by then. Thanks for the advice might attempt a quick shower tomorrow before my dressing is changed.

Waswondering Wed 03-Dec-14 22:35:23

I would be really concerned to go back to work so soon after surgery, with an unhealed wound.

Matildathecat Wed 03-Dec-14 23:11:34

You can buy dressings from the pharmacy if the hospital didn't provide them. Shower as usual then get someone ( if possible) to pat the area dry and apply new dressing.

Can't really comment on work as don't know what you do. Driving is ok so long as you are sober and can do emergency stop.

If you don't feel well enough for work, don't go. period. Work don't get to decide when you are fit for work.

gamerchick Wed 03-Dec-14 23:13:42

You can't to back to work yet shock those things will get more tight and uncomfortable before you're done. What are your employers thinking of?!

TywysogesGymraeg Wed 03-Dec-14 23:20:28

You most definitely can't go back to work with stitches in your back. Its not for work to decide. Get a note from your GP if you don't feel comfortable about not going in.

Mrmonkey Thu 04-Dec-14 07:49:36

Thank you for the advice I didn't think te Dr would give a note for something like this, unfortunately its a really busy time at work as we have Christmas performances etc coming up!

Bunbaker Thu 04-Dec-14 07:53:10

Can you not remove the shower from its holder and just direct the spray to where you want it to wash?

I agree with everyone else that you are doing yourself no favours by going back to work before you are ready. No-one loves a martyr.

MinceSpy Thu 04-Dec-14 08:02:48

Mrmonkey if you had a general anaesthetic it would be reasonable to stay off until Monday.
A quick shower that avoids soaking the stitches should be okay and be sure not to rub the wound when you dry.
Read your discharge notes for guidance or ring your gp for advice.

Mrmonkey Thu 04-Dec-14 08:55:43

It was under local anaesthetic but they had to remove more then they thought and the hole is deeper then anticipated. I wasn't expecting stitches I assumed it would be a small wound that they would cover and leave to heal. My Dh has offered to try and remove the shower head but it's one that is fixed into the wall so may just have a quick wash and leave it at that.

magso Thu 04-Dec-14 13:24:27

Would a bath be easier -assuming the stiches are high up. If not a bucket/ bowl/flannel wash might work, so you can wash each part in turn (but keep your back dry) to feel squeaky clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now