Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scaphoid (wrist) fracture treatment? anyone

(4 Posts)
Catbadger Tue 02-Dec-14 23:22:01

wondering if anyone can help.
I broke my scaphoid (bone at base of wrist/hand) on the last day of May.
It was diagnosed and xrayed immediatley, my cast was uncomfy and I was in pain all through the summer. I had it re cast a number of times, 4 casts in total May- September. I was advised that this type of injury sometimes just knits back together and my own googling suggests that 8-12 weeks in a cast is normal management. I went for an MRI mid August and was told that the healing/knitting was poor but was not put on the list for an op to fix it until late September but taken out of cast and put in a splint. At the consulation in September I was advised that the healing was so poor I would likely need a bone graft not just a pin.

It's now December, I still don't have a date for surgery. I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow and angling for the op as soon as poss as from what I can work out I'll be another 8 weeks or so in plaster and really want to be cast/splint free and have a working hand by the time I go on holiday in April.

I think I have an argument that I really should have been referred for surgery a whole lot earlier so they must proceed with the op asap.

I need to drive for my job, it's my dominant hand and I want it sorted and fixed asap.

Has anyone done anything similar? If so how quickly were you referred for surgery and how long post op til you could drive?

I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow and really want to get this sorted. All/any advice welcome.

Thank you.

magso Wed 03-Dec-14 08:47:48

Just posting to bump and wish you good luck with getting further forward.

Matildathecat Wed 03-Dec-14 09:51:05

Lordy, *Magso^ that's shocking. Ds1 broke his playing rugby and the cast was off in six weeks and normal use within a few more weeks. I think you points are all valid. As long as you stop short of saying 'mismanagement'grin. I think we all know that will place you on the naughty step bottom of the list sad

Good luck. A whole year isn't right for a broken wrist.

magso Wed 03-Dec-14 18:45:19

How did you get on Catbadger? Did you get a plan in place? I was told that scaphoids can be rather unpredictable and might need pinning if it refused to heal, but 7 months is ages. I hope things improve soon.
(Mine has only been injured 5 weeks Matilda)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now