Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cough and mothball smelling mucus

(6 Posts)
lemonpoppyseed Tue 02-Dec-14 18:41:09

I've had a cough for about two weeks. It started out very mucusy/phlegmy, and has dried up a lot to the point it's really just a tickle. However, when I cough, which generally produces some green phlegm it smells/ tastes like mothballs.

Anyone had any experience of this? Dr Google was very unhelpful. I don't know whether to visit doctor or not because I think it's just a winter cough, but this new development is a little unnerving grin

I am also BF, so know some antibiotics may be a no go. I just don't want to waste the doctors time (or haul my 4 yr old and newborn out to the clinic...)

Anyone had anything like this?

bimbobaggins Tue 02-Dec-14 21:25:37

I used to cough up small white lumps and when i pressed them they smelled like mothballs. I have since found out they are tonsil stones and i thinks its jusy deposits whick collect in the pocketing in your throat.

lemonpoppyseed Tue 02-Dec-14 22:25:10

Hmmm. Thanks, bimbobaggins. I have made an appointment with the doctor for Thursday.

bimbobaggins Wed 03-Dec-14 07:27:54

Sorry, i know its disgusting . I hope you get on ok at the doctors.

lemonpoppyseed Thu 04-Dec-14 16:56:34

Just in case anyone ever has anything similar... I have a post-viral cough, and the mothball taste is because phlegm is being dredged up from quite far down. Lovely. I have a prescription for an inhaler; let's hope it starts working SOON!

bimbobaggins Fri 05-Dec-14 21:11:58

Thanks for the update! Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now