Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endoscopy...am so worried and scared...

(56 Posts)
Badvocinapeartree Tue 02-Dec-14 11:26:40

I had a failed endoscopy in jan this year...the sedation didn't work...no idea why..it's worked before...I think I they gave me a different drug (something beginning with m and I didn't have a canula in either?)
I know I need the proceedure...my gerd and pain is still bad.
I had an appt at a bupa hosptial last night (Dh is covered with work so I am covered for some tests) but can't have the proceedure til next Friday!
Have told the dr I am very worried about the sedation not working again.
He said he will give me a mixture of drugs to sedate me.
But...it's a long time til next week and I am really really worried.
Come on...tell me I am being an idiot!

FrigginFuckinFiggyPudding Tue 02-Dec-14 18:48:00

Hi....You are most definitely not an idiot.
I'm sure that the dr who will perform the procedure will make sure that you have enough sedation, and will give you time for it to work.
I have had 2 double whammy's in the last year alone...endoscopy and colonoscopy. Time before last I wasn't given enough sedation, I gagged too much and it was horrible. When the next one was booked I was certain that I wasn't going to go through with it. I went to the hospital knowing that I could walk out at any time...I explained how apprehensive I was and that I wanted all the drugs that they could give me...the consultant was wonderful...he made sure that the sedation had time to work...seriously I got through it and wondered why I'd made such a fuss.
I think that you're worrying over nothing...just as I did. Believe me it will be over in no time at all...I can't remember anything about my last endoscopy...do remember the dr mentioning margaritas when giving me the sedation and seeing some pretty amazing pictures of my bowel. But can't remember the endoscopy at all.
I know that these tests are unpleasant and I know that it's the fear of the unknown that makes us uneasy. You will get through it and you will be ok.
Seriously, after all the fuss I made last time I know that if I had to go through it all again then I would without hesitation.
These tests save lives.

You are in my thoughts.... flowers

Badvocinapeartree Tue 02-Dec-14 18:59:11

Thank you x

Queenofknickers Tue 02-Dec-14 19:03:18

I was scared too and asked for loads of sedation and ended up not remembering a thing! If they are giving you a mix you can be sure of being sparko xxxx

Badvocinapeartree Tue 02-Dec-14 19:16:38

God I hope so! I am do much more worried after the failed one in jan...

chockbic Tue 02-Dec-14 19:18:07

Can you take Valium the night before?

swooosh Tue 02-Dec-14 19:21:33

Hi I work in Endoscopy. Would rather patient's NOT take their own premed.

A mix is likely to be Midazolam and Fentanyl or Pethidine. You are highly unlikely to remember the procedure although may feel 'aware' of it at the time, you'll soon snooze it off! It's a few minutes. You'll be fine smile

Badvocinapeartree Tue 02-Dec-14 19:29:36

Weird thing is the first time I don't remember a thing til they were pulling the tube out!
Second time the procedure seemed to have changed?
No canula and throat spray and it was midazolam I had and it didn't affect me at all!
confused

Badvocinapeartree Tue 02-Dec-14 19:30:56

I wouldnt take a pre med. not without drs knowledge anyway!

Badvocinapeartree Tue 02-Dec-14 19:35:24

Maybe I am a weirdo and midazolam doesn't affect me!? confused

Badvocinapeartree Wed 03-Dec-14 23:00:25

Am going to cancel.I can't do it sad

FrigginFuckinFiggyPudding Thu 04-Dec-14 05:45:18

I really felt just like that.
You can do it....
Phone the hospital endoscopy dept and have a word with them...don't hold back on mentioning how apprehensive you are.
Go to your appointment and know that you can call a halt on it at any time you want.
I was absolutely Fu@*ing adamant that I was not going to go to my last one. It was fine...and I would not hesitate in having another one if I had to.
Like I said before ...these tests save lives.
Here for hand holing...flowers

Lagoonablue Thu 04-Dec-14 06:22:16

I recently had one. It was fine. I didn't feel a thing!

Badvocinapeartree Thu 04-Dec-14 16:02:59

Phoned the dr sec (as I forgot to tell him about some meds and a health issue I had last year) and there are no cancellations so cant have it done sooner.
I didn't cancel though!
I wish it was tomorrow sad

gingeroots Thu 04-Dec-14 16:45:48

Well done OP !( for not cancelling ) Rotten luck that you can't have it earlier .
I do feel for you .I've had a few and after the first one I do explain that they need to be sure they've given me enough sedation .

Don't forget ,it's their job and they honestly won't want you to be uncomfortable . And they will understand that you're scared .
Hang on in there .

Badvocinapeartree Thu 04-Dec-14 17:40:16

Ginger...tbh after the last one they couldn't have been less bothered.
I was really upset and asking for more sedation but she said no sad
Can I ask...for those of you that have had the proceedure...what were the findings...if any?

Badvocinapeartree Thu 04-Dec-14 17:41:10

Oh! And I forgot...he intends to take a biopsy to test for coeliac (my mum has it)

chockbic Thu 04-Dec-14 18:02:29

You might have to go for a general anaesthetic.

mintyneb Thu 04-Dec-14 18:14:44

I have had several endoscopies and struggle with the sedation (or lack of). I now have propofol (sp? ) which I understand is the highest level of sedation before a full blown GA. However it can only given by anaesthetist so is probably not a cost effective option for most people.

I have an adenomatous (pre cancerous) duodenal polyp that is quite unusual and have regular (now every 2 years) endoscopies to keep an eye on it.

Good luck tomorrow, you can get through it and you know you owe it to yourself to find out what might be going on

gingeroots Thu 04-Dec-14 18:32:38

Oh OP I'm so sorry . My first endoscopy wasn't great but later ones were fine . They were done by NHS but different hospital .

Maybe you should talk to your GP about how you're feeling ?

Badvocinapeartree Thu 04-Dec-14 18:37:34

Minty...that sounds awful hmm poor you
I will ask about propofol - the dr has said he will give me a mix of meds?

mintyneb Thu 04-Dec-14 19:54:50

Thanks badvoc. I'm actually due to have an endoscopy myself but I'm currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer (aren't I the lucky one!) so have had to put it off till the new year.

propofol is what Michael Jackson overdosed on I think so it's pretty strong stuff. does the trick for me as I'm completely out of it and have no memories of the procedures. Although as I say it might not be something you can routinely ask for

Badvocinapeartree Thu 04-Dec-14 19:58:22

Gosh minty...you are having a torrid time <massive understatement>
You are in my thoughts x

mintyneb Thu 04-Dec-14 20:09:26

Thank you smile

FrigginFuckinFiggyPudding Sat 06-Dec-14 06:58:09

Bad Just wondering how you're doing.

This time next week it will all be over...hang in there.

flowers

And to you Minty flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now