Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

FODMAP Diet - can someone explain / link to a resource?

(12 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Tue 02-Dec-14 10:32:34

Hello,

My GP has recommended that I go on a FODMAP diet. I don't know where to start - he told me to Google it.

I said that I would like to see a dietician but he said that he did not rate dieticians(!)

So, I've Googled and I've seen what the diet is about but I need to find something that spells out what exactly I should be eating and when.

Is there an idiots guide to FODMAP diets?

jamsconeandtea Tue 02-Dec-14 13:27:45

Hi there, I have just been told the same thing, have a sheet of paper with the main things to avoid but would also like to find out more!

Forestdew Tue 02-Dec-14 13:30:03

It was developed by Monash university, there is lots of info on their website
www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/
I think there is an app too.

jamsconeandtea Tue 02-Dec-14 17:21:05

Great, thanks.

pinkfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 18:40:12

yes there is an app.

You are supposed to do it under guidance from a dietician.
This person is very good.

www.wisediet.co.uk

WalkingThePlank Tue 02-Dec-14 22:33:57

Thanks. Have emailed a local dietician and downloaded the app.

Kettricken Thu 04-Dec-14 20:47:16

My DH needs a low fodmap diet and he was referred to a dietitian at the hospital for it. It really is quite complicated especially at first so if you can get a referral I think it would help with all your inevitable questions. Good luck!

lotsofcheese Thu 11-Dec-14 19:48:59

Whereabouts are you, OP? Kings College have done a lot of training on FODMAP.

The British Dietetic Association www.bda.uk.com will have info on private practice dietitians if that's the way you'd like to go. Or another GP in the practice could refer you.

It is quite a complex diet, so some proper support would be good.

Good luck.

KurriKurri Thu 11-Dec-14 20:01:18

My sister is on it - she has regular appointments with an NHS deitician, because it is all about eliminating and reintroducing certain foods to see if you can tolerate them etc. It is complicated and quite hard to follow initially as your diet is fairly limited, so I'd say professional support quite important.

On the good side - to encourage you - my sister has had a lot of success with it, and after years of being pretty seriously ill with IBS, she has in the last few months returned to work. Certainly worth a try - I hope it works for you smile

KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 20:37:59

I had proper support (NHS dietician) & tbh I did it all myself

I had a booklet & I groped around in the dark - my tummy is great on the exclusion diet but as soon as I introduce anything I'm stuffed

I'm allowed meat, potatoes, root veg & an occasional banana - the upside is I go to the loo 3 times a day so much better than 10+ the downside is I'm bored silly & I can't eat 5 a day no matter how I try

BendySquintySquidgy Thu 11-Dec-14 22:31:48

I can heartily recommend the Low FODMAP diet! I had 17 years of IBS before finally seeing a gastroenterologist who knew their a*se from their elbow! Symptoms eased off within 2 weeks of starting.

I'm surprised that your GP was clued up about it but I would definitely recommend going through the process with guidance from a professional. The Monash site is great and I live by their app. It's recommended that you do the exclusion diet for 6-8 weeks, then slowly introduce the different groups back in. This is where it's good to have the guidance of a dietician, as some foods can fall into multiple groups, etc.

I went to UCLH in London, who run dietician-led seminars on the Low FODMAP diet. There was a starter session introducing the principles and then 8 weeks later the same group attended to learn how to reintroduce food groups. As PPs have mentioned, it is very limiting but it has honestly made the world of difference to my everyday life. KatyMac I feel your pain! Have you heard of the Whole30? I tried doing this to wheedle out the other things which were causing me trouble and came across their FODMAP friendly list of veggies:
whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

UCL conduct hydrogen breath tests on all patients before they start the FODMAP diet - testing for lactose and/or fructose malabsorption, as well as SIBO. Worth asking your GP about this.

Make sure you take a probiotic whilst you're doing the FODMAP diet! UCL recommended Symprove. Pretty darn expensive but worth taking for at least 3-6mnths to help your gut. I think Symprove have got a special offer on at the moment if you sign up to their 12 week programme - get the last 4 weeks free.

I'd best shurrup now blush

NewName123 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:16:32

Stupid GP dietician could tell you bout it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now