Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does it sound like these bites are infected? Really hot!!

(6 Posts)
Athyrium Mon 01-Dec-14 19:39:00

Posted in chat earlier but got ignored! So trying again: I ended up with a couple of gnat (or similar) bites Saturday (I was at the allotment for all of 30 minutes!) By Sunday they were really hot, had a large red ring around them, plus a further tender blotchy red area stretching up and down each arm. They have been pretty much like that since, sometimes calming a bit, then flaring up again. I have had bites before that have tracked which these don't seem to be doing, however, the large red blotchy areas and heat are bothering me. Would I be wimpy to get the doc to look at them if they are the same tomorrow, given the tracking bites always needed anti-biotics?

3bunnies Mon 01-Dec-14 19:48:23

Have you drawn around the area with a biro? If by the morning the red area has spread outside of the line then it might be infected. You could also go to a late night chemist (our supermarket one is open until 11) and show them, they will be able to advise and also might give you something like piriton. Hope it is better soon.

iknowimcoming Mon 01-Dec-14 19:53:11

I am aware that usually a hot red patch does indicate infection, but I react badly to bites and they always get hot and red and I've never had an infection. Have you tried bite cream, or hydrocortisone on the bites and taking antihistamines will help a lot. If you're worried though see your GP tomorrow x

Athyrium Mon 01-Dec-14 19:53:18

I haven't drawn a line, but I'm pretty sure the biggest blotchy bit is coming and going a bit. I hadn't thought of anti-histamine [duh emoticon] will go and neck some now!

Adarajames Tue 02-Dec-14 01:28:46

Drop of lavender essential oil is great for these things, or tea tree I you've not got lavender

Fanjango Tue 02-Dec-14 01:36:39

My son had similar reaction to gnat bites. Piriton was recommended by pharmacist and it brought swelling and heat straight down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now