Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rash still bad on face and neck 3 days after I stopped taking penicillin.

(9 Posts)
Spidermama Mon 01-Dec-14 09:21:41

The GP gave me penicillin on Wednesday for an infected cut on my knee. I went back on Friday with an itchy rash all over my face and neck. I was given a different sort of ABs but the rash seemed to get worse and on Sunday I didn't take the other ABs either.

Here we are on Monday morning and I have a raised, itchy, hot rash all over my face (which is swollen) and it's now spread round to the back of my neck.

IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE NOT BETTER. sad

Does anyone have advice or experience to share?

PossumPoo Mon 01-Dec-14 09:26:47

My reaction rash lasted at least a week after I stopped taking the ab and then faded, not just disappeared.

It was terrible so you have my sympathies!

Spidermama Mon 01-Dec-14 17:51:46

It's absolutely dreadful. It seems to be spreading to my arms now even though I stopped taking them on Friday. I'm so hot and itchy and I look like the elephant woman.

Fluffy101 Mon 01-Dec-14 18:05:46

Yes another allergic to penicillin person here sad itchy rash that lasted 3 weeks but I took the tablets for ages before realising the link.

I have been warned never to take penecilin again by doctors due to risk of anaphylactic shock next time and my medical records have this note.

Maybe worth checking with doctor

Ps I had taken it about 3-4 times a year for over 20 years (repeat tonsillitis issues ) and never had an issue

Spidermama Mon 01-Dec-14 19:10:39

Three weeks! Gosh what a nightmare.

I wonder if I should go back to the doc as it's got even worse during the day and spread to my arms.

gingeroots Mon 01-Dec-14 19:56:05

Yes ,go back to GP . Sounds bad and if it's getting worse I think that's a worry .
Poor you flowers

Inkspellme Mon 01-Dec-14 20:03:00

yes I took this reaction to anti biotics too. penicillin reaction. I remember it lasting a week or so. I think I took anti histamines if I remember correctly - it helped.

Liara Mon 01-Dec-14 20:05:55

Yes, mine lasted a while too, and I only took the one pill.

If it makes you feel better, I have since been given penicillin one more time and had no reaction whatsoever.

(I warned them I was allergic but they weren't too bothered and I was in enough pain that the idea of dying of anaphylactic shock seemed positively appealing)

Spidermama Mon 01-Dec-14 20:23:08

There seem to be a lot of people having this reaction. I'm pissed off at being poisoned. My DH is away all week and I'm here with four kids, poisoned. It's very distressing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now