Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I can't poo! :(

(10 Posts)
nikki1978 Sun 30-Nov-14 17:25:22

I had a laparoscopy under general anaesthetic on Thursday and haven't been able to poo since sad Stupidly although I have drunk lots of water I have eaten crap (lots of toast and sarnies since they are all I could face). So what to do now? I am able to pass gas and the poo is definitely sitting there ready to go (sorry tmi!). I gave some dulcolax, should I take that at this stage?

nikki1978 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:41:29

Bump

Thymeout Sun 30-Nov-14 18:51:33

I've recently suffered from post-op constipation and what worked for me was glycerine suppositories. You can buy them at the chemist's. Insert, lie down for half an hour or as long as you can manage, and then see how you get on.

Once you succeed, try to go every day, preferably at the same time. Don't let it build up, even if it means sitting there for a bit. Rocking helps and something to put your feet on. I also ate lots of pears and drank prune juice, but no idea if they helped.

Good luck!

nikki1978 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:16:41

Thanks. I was going to try dulcolax tonight then if no movement in the morning I will move onto bum pills. All so dignified! Thanks for the tip smile

TheSpottedZebra Sun 30-Nov-14 19:18:00

Yip yip, bum pills

You can pretend that you're being all swanky and European.
They work.

PotteringAlong Sun 30-Nov-14 19:18:01

Syrup of figs is genius stuff too for creating poo!

blahblahblah72 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:29:41

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago following a GA. Suppositories were the ONLY thing that worked and trust me, I'd tried everything!

Matildathecat Sun 30-Nov-14 20:58:18

Yes to suppositories but take a softener, too. Don't go mad because if you take too many remedies you can end up with awful cramps and in my case profuse, bloody diarrhoea.

Glycerine suppositories are my best friend blush (I have long term bowel probs) ALl the chemists sell them and they unclog the lumpssmile

Ops do tend to have this affect so take some softener if you can as well... movicol is good and you can buy it OTC

Adarajames Mon 01-Dec-14 00:28:42

If longer term, reflexology does wonders for getting things moving (as proven to a friend who didn't believe so over did the reflex points and had 3 days of rather too regular toilet visits!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now