Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't stop being sick even though stomach empty, what can I do?

(12 Posts)
CrimboHornedSnowflake Sun 30-Nov-14 14:49:51

Started yesterday feeling all bloated and uncomfortable like I had constipation and then in the night it was like I exploded, both ends sad

I keep on being sick/dry heaving even though my stomach is completely empty. I'm no stranger to sickness having had two HG pregnancies but this is far far worse.

I've been in hold to 111 for ages and keep getting cut off so I need something, anything that is going to give me some respite from this sickness

lougle Sun 30-Nov-14 15:48:38

I'm sorry you're so ill. sad

You have two choices:

1. Suck ice chips or very small amounts of fluids (Flat lemonade or water with a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt is best) so that you are less likely to be sick but avoid dehydrating.

2. Drink loads so that you've got something to vomit up.

TallulahTwinkletoes Sun 30-Nov-14 15:57:08

What lougle said.

Try some dioralyte. You must be very dehydrated.

Welcome to the Norovirus club grin

kormachameleon Sun 30-Nov-14 15:59:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stewedcoot Sun 30-Nov-14 16:08:11

Poor you; it must be awful ... .

Each to their own but the trouble with drinking loads at once is that you are more likely to vomit it up (I know you are vomiting a lot anyway)

Try sipping tiny amounts at strict 15 mins intervals (use timer). You can honestly get quite a lot down that way. Try tepid boiled water (less of a shock to the stomach than cold water) flat coke or flat-ish lemonade or rehydration powders from chemist.

If it goes on for more than 48 hrs or your urine gets very dark; seek medical help.

Hope you feel better soon x

TortoiseInAShell Sun 30-Nov-14 16:18:30

30ml room temperature water per hour, and suck ice cubes or crushed ice in between. Within about 6 hours you'll have taken 180ml plus the ice, and should be ready to increase to 60ml/hr.

Sometimes lucozade or lemonade is easier to keep down than even water so if you have access to any it's worth a try, but don't exceed tiny amounts at first.

CrimboHornedSnowflake Tue 02-Dec-14 08:45:00

Thanks for your replies, still going strong although at least the diarrhoea has stopped.

Lucozade seems to be working the best although I risked a bit of toast yesterday, BIG mistake!

gingeroots Tue 02-Dec-14 09:27:24

Have you had some Dioralyte or similar ? Will make a big difference .

Wishing you better flowers

LionWings Tue 02-Dec-14 09:38:51

Can someone get to the pharmacy for you? You should be able to get something for this. I'm not in the UK so brand names are different but if looks like something called Buscopan is the same as what I've been prescribed. I'll try and link to it but a pharmacist should be able to help. It's honestly brilliant and was the only thing that helped me get some rest.

Hope you feel better soon

LionWings Tue 02-Dec-14 09:40:42

this is the one

LionWings Tue 02-Dec-14 09:47:39

Totally late post but hopefully it might help someone else (or get some and keep it in the cupboard just in case!)

bobs123 Tue 02-Dec-14 09:51:35

Another option is Ranitidine. This works by reducing the amount of acid your stomach produces. It is sold in supermarkets as own brand too which is much cheaper - i.e. Sainsbury's Indigestion relief.

It works brilliantly when you drink too much and can't stop being sick the following day because your stomach is producing too much acid.

It works best by taking something like tums first to help settle your stomach long enough for the ranitidine to take effect (taken 10 mins after the tums)

Buscopan might well be better but hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now