Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low ferretin level

(5 Posts)
Redtractorwontsleep Fri 28-Nov-14 19:59:13

I gave birth 14 weeks ago, had my bloods taken on Wednesday as I had seen my GP complaining of heavy periods, and the surgery rang before closing tonight to let me know that the ferretin is 4 and I need to start on ferrous fumarate, picking up the prescription tomorrow. Does anybody know how long the tablets take to work, when will I feel better, when will my bloods be repeated?Thank you

Snugglepiggy Sat 29-Nov-14 16:18:00

Mine had gone down to a shocking 1 several years ago.i'm peri menopausal so older than you by some bit I'm guessing but due to very heavy periods .I still have to take iron to maintain anything like a normal ferritin and am back for further tests next week as I thought my periods were finally ending,but have had lots more bleeding again recently.My problem is that when I start to feel better and less tired I forget /don't take my iron every day.Take yours religiously but realistically expect it to take a good few months to build your ferritin back up when it's dropped so low.You need all the energy you can get with a new baby!

Redtractorwontsleep Sun 30-Nov-14 22:36:50

Thanks for your reply. I am usually rubbish at taking tablets but I'll make sure to take these. Had been feeling awful for a couple of weeks and my hair is falling out at an alarming rate so at least I now know the cause!

ChristmasJumperWearer Sun 30-Nov-14 22:46:09

IIRC it takes about 28 days for the iron to start taking effect.

As you haven't long given birth, I'd advise having a high-fibre diet or drinking prune juice to help with bowel movements!

Also, Spatone is a gentler way to get your iron, might be worth taking that as well, in a glass of orange juice daily.

If your levels are very low, injections are possible, although costly for the NHS, so hard to arrange.

ChristmasJumperWearer Sun 30-Nov-14 22:46:37

It really helps, honestly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now