Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you're due a smear test...

(39 Posts)
justmuddlingalong Fri 28-Nov-14 19:55:23

please book it on Monday morning. I went for mine today. I know everyone's busy with Christmas, the kids, work and all, but it's easy to put off making an appointment and then forgetting.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Fri 28-Nov-14 19:56:21

Did it go ok? I am over due by a year blush It's one of the only things that I really hate the thought of doing.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Fri 28-Nov-14 19:57:01

Shat, make that two years! I also have a coil that is due replacement. Its been in a year longer than it should!

LittleBallOfFur Fri 28-Nov-14 19:58:29

I had mine in September. They're not the best fun are they? But a couple of minutes of feeling uncomfortable and it's all done.

Hassled Fri 28-Nov-14 19:59:50

I also went for mine today - was absolutely fine. We talked about Christmas shopping, then it was done, then I went back to Christmas shopping. I think a lot depends on the nurse - some are way more proficient than others.

justmuddlingalong Fri 28-Nov-14 20:03:12

It was fine, took 5 minutes and that's it for another 3 years. Not my favourite way of spending 5 minutes, but it's done now and I can forget about it. puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE book your appointment on Monday. Don't put it off.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Fri 28-Nov-14 20:16:14

I know I have too, I just cannot bring myself to do it.

justmuddlingalong Fri 28-Nov-14 20:21:44

puds you need your coil replaced too, so 1 appointment, 2 things sorted!

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 28-Nov-14 20:22:35

I had mine recently, and just had the letter to say I don't need to go again for 3 yrs, hurrah!

It took me nearly a year to go for an appointment, plucking up courage, surgery canceled first one, I forgot the second one blush, then had to wait two months for third one. But got there in the end.

ouryve Fri 28-Nov-14 20:23:23

I had one a few months ago. Definitely a lot less unpleasant with the new brushes.

Took me 3 months to find a slot for the appointment, though - eventually had to book a month in advance to get an available kid-free slot at the right time of the month and I nearly ended up having to cancel that because my period was a lot later than I was expecting it. Thankfully, it also ended up being a short one.

Millie2013 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:05:04

I was over by about 8 years <blush> and had to have one due to heavy and irregular bleeding
I was shitting myself, but it was fine.

Slowdownsally Fri 28-Nov-14 21:13:14

Thanks OP!

I say go have your smear too. I left mine for too long and was very lucky that when I did finally go they quickly treated my early symptoms of cancer.

I cannot, cannot encourage people enough.

I've tried three times in the last 6 months. Twice they had to abandon it, as couldn't find my cervix - painfull and stressful and one of them was hideous - three people fiddling around to no avail sad and the other time it came back inconclusive and they told me to book another. I don't know if I dare even try to book another.

MrsCosmopilite Fri 28-Nov-14 21:18:10

Thanks OP, just got a letter today.

WhizzPopBang Fri 28-Nov-14 21:20:18

Thanks for the nudge, mine's overdue by a few months, it's been playing on my mind - will get to it!

justmuddlingalong Fri 28-Nov-14 21:20:43

That sounds awful, Remus, but the inconclusive result means you really should try again. Can you ask at the surgery for it to be done by the most experienced Dr/nurse?

Thanks, Just. The most recent one was at the hospital but still no luck.

fuctifino Fri 28-Nov-14 21:25:13

I've just been put back to every 3 years after being on annuals for 10 years. Yay!

My sister went 6 years without one and had to have a hysterectomy after a grade 3 tumour was detected. Thankfully, her family was complete but she was still relatively young, at 32.

I never miss mine. I'm not overly keen on it but see am thankful to the NHS for their diligence in screening me more regularly.

Eastpoint Fri 28-Nov-14 21:26:20

I just emailed & they told me no appointments until January. I emailed & said I'll never be able to book 6-8 weeks ahead & received a phone call with the offer of an appt next week. Thank you Ealing!

Alchemist Fri 28-Nov-14 21:29:38

I was just talking about this today with DP. It's now added to my list. thanks

OnlyWantsOne Fri 28-Nov-14 21:36:13

I went to see the nurse about some thing else earlier in the week... she reminded me I was over due and offered to do it there and then. I did... felt amazingly smug after. If I'd booked the appt solely for the smear I'd be really stressed about it before hand.

Go! Get it done!!

carlywurly Fri 28-Nov-14 21:42:15

Thanks for this. Mine is a month overdue and I really should have booked it today.
Will do on Monday smile

justmuddlingalong Fri 28-Nov-14 21:44:18

Sooo, Remus, puds, MrsCosmopilite, WhizzPop and Alchemist Monday morning? D'ye all promise?

justmuddlingalong Fri 28-Nov-14 21:45:10

And you carlywurly!

Lookslikeimstuckhere Fri 28-Nov-14 21:48:57

Mine is overdue by a year. I know I need to go but, three years after a traumatic birth, the idea of a HCP anywhere near that area of my body gives me heart palpitations. I had PTSD and PND. The panic attacks have all but gone but even talking about it here takes me right back to where I was. Maybe some wine would help. Any advice from people who have suffered the same problem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now