Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast clinic

(6 Posts)
Ghostintheshell Thu 27-Nov-14 14:37:49

Hi I went to GP a few days back cos of pain and a lump. Now I have to go to the hospital one stop clinc am so scared I know it's prob Bengn (am23)but both my mum and gran had breast cancer so can't help but worry and feel low . I would love if anyone can share if this has happend to them and also any idea what I sould bring its say on the letter I can be there at least 4 hrs . Thanks

helzapoppin2 Thu 27-Nov-14 14:56:24

Hello, love, Breast cancer survivor here!
Don't panic, it's probably nothing, but for your own peace of mind ask if you can have regular checks due to family history then you'll know you're on top of anything. Early detection is the way to go. I'm not talking specifically of your situation now, just generally!
Take a friend if poss!

Ghostintheshell Fri 28-Nov-14 10:31:00

Thank you for replying means a lot . Despite my age I do worry its something almost feels like family think I have no reason to worry in a way it hurts if that makes sinsce ......

helzapoppin2 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:38:49

You do right to worry, although your risk is small, at your age, it does occasionally happen, and, obviously, to find it early would be the best thing.
Anyway, good luck at the clinic!

gillybean2 Sun 30-Nov-14 11:04:52

You'll be in and out of different rooms seeing different people so be sure to take a book or something to keep you busy inbetween. I accidently left mine in the car and there was no phone signal in the waiting room. Luckily I had a game app to keep my mind occupied between everything.

Take a snack and drink in case you need. I did but too nervous to touch either. Just remeber you're in the best place to either put your mind at rest, or deal with anything they do find. Fingers crossed for you that it'll be nothing to worry about.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 30-Nov-14 11:12:55

What Gilly said. Definitely take a book.

At our clinic (I have had a number of benign lumps so have been a few times) you see a consultant, and then maybe have an ultrasound, and then maybe have a sample taken via FNA (fine needle aspiration), then back to the consultant. Then often back a few weeks later of they can't give you results on the day. Often the ultrasound is definitive, particularly if it's a milk cyst, so then they can give you your result on the day.

Honestly, try not to worry. I see the breast clinic as a bit like the dentist - hat a necessary evil. Not overly pleasant but perfectly manageable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now