Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Woke up to excessive red blood.

(17 Posts)
FruitCakey Thu 27-Nov-14 09:15:46

This morning, I woke up and my teeth were covered in blood. Parts of the blood were dry, some parts weren't. This is common for me, I am not quite sure why. This morning, however was different. I sat on the toilet (before brushing my teeth) and felt my mouth fill with blood. I spat it out and there was quite an excessive amount and it was bright red, there was even tiny clots. I spat a few more times and still, excessive bleeding. I then started to brush my teeth and the bleeding stopped. There were no blood on my tooth brush, so I am worried that it didn't come from my gums. Surely if it had have come from my gums, brushing would have irritated it further. I am confused. I am not sure what is happening. Do I call the doctors or my dentist? Should I leave it? If anyone can help somehow, I'll be forever grateful. Thanks.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Thu 27-Nov-14 09:17:57

Oh, you poor thing. I would get an emergency dentist appointment if I were you. Sounds as though you might have an abscess or something.

zippyandbungle Thu 27-Nov-14 09:18:41

I would make an appointment with both gp and the dentist.

JustTryEverything Thu 27-Nov-14 09:21:10

You could try calling 111 to see what they would advise. I'd probably be concerned that it's 'normal' for you to wake up with blood in your mouth too - have you ever seen anyone about it or mentioned it to a dentist /,doctor? I would definitely be doing or seeing someone though as it does sound like you are worried and that in itself is justification for asking for help.

FruitCakey Thu 27-Nov-14 09:31:34

I have never mentioned it to a doctor/dentist. No idea why. blush

Could it be an abscess though? I have no pain at all and no swelling.

It has happened before, I could just he sat watching TV and then the next time I know I can taste blood in my mouth. Usually though, it's only a tiny amount and has only happened two or three times in the past.

It's bizarre. sad

ArthurShappey Thu 27-Nov-14 09:37:09

Are you sure it's coming from the your teeth. Is there any dried blood or blood wen you blow your nose?

I frequently get nosebleeds and if asleep it can pool (sorry TMI) in my mouth and the back of my throat.

FruitCakey Thu 27-Nov-14 09:48:52

Absolutely no blood or dry blood in my nose. So I am not quite sure it could be that.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 27-Nov-14 10:02:31

I'd suggest a GP first, let them take a good look in your mouth. If its dental, they can refer you on

iwantgin Thu 27-Nov-14 12:52:13

I think you should see your GP in the first instance. I have never heard of having frequent bleeding in the mouth like that.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 27-Nov-14 12:55:09

Doctor rather than dentist.

Mrsmorton Thu 27-Nov-14 15:30:25

Definitely dentist. GPs know squat about mouths, and they are happy to admit it.

Abscesses are quite a specific dental diagnosis and are painful unless they are chronic in which case they cause swelling. In the past six months I have seen maybe three or four and I spend one day a week just seeing emergencies. It's most likely to be gingivitis which can bleed a lot but is generally not painful.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 27-Nov-14 16:30:40

But OP said she doesn't think it came from her teeth or gums. If its a small upper GI bleed then she's best going to the dr.

Mrsmorton Thu 27-Nov-14 16:48:41

OP said she didn't know where it came from. She then asked if it could be an abscess.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 27-Nov-14 16:51:36

Fair enough, I'd have thought if it was an abcess she'd have pain and she said there was no blood on her toothbrush so she didnt think it was gums. But I think I've remembered you're a dentist so will accept you're right. grin

Mrsmorton Thu 27-Nov-14 17:11:02

Lol, I am wrong plenty of times! She should get it checked by the dentist, then the dr can refer her for tests if necessary, otherwise she may go GP, Dentist, GP. Should exclude dental first and go to GP armed with that info.

FruitCakey Thu 27-Nov-14 17:53:36

Thank you so much. I am going to book a dental appointment in the morning. grin

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 27-Nov-14 22:13:15

I second gingivitis- gums can bleed quite suddenly and profusely and then stop quickly, leaving no trace of anything wrong, although this normally happens when cleaning my teeth, rather than randomly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now