Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Health anxiety

(10 Posts)
Shoegal0305 Wed 26-Nov-14 17:55:25

I'm having a really bad day....... Anyone else? Have been diagnosed with a cyst my ovary and surgery may be looming early next year. Since I've been able to recall ive ALWAYS felt I'd never be able to go thru with having a GA. To say I'm petrified is an understatement. Have posted on here re my cyst and had some fantastic support from fellow MNers. But feel out of my depth tonight. Sweaty, shaky, heart is racing........ I'm a lone parent no family so past 9 years on my own been a big struggle with financial issues, a stressful (tho enjoyable and, laughably medical profession!!! Are we the worst for this I wonder?) ...... Any tips and advice greatly received........

holeinmyheart Wed 26-Nov-14 19:34:49

Do you want reassurance that you will be OK? I had a Ovarian Cyst removed 51 years ago and I am still alive. Think how things have improved. My cyst was as large as a melon ( so I was told)
You will be fine. Xx

Shoegal0305 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:42:59

Holeinmyheart I DO want reassurance yes I'm really scared. I realise I have severe anxiety about my health ive always been fit and well and I'm solely responsible for my son. It's so scary xx

holeinmyheart Thu 27-Nov-14 07:14:20

shoe it is pointless my saying don't be scared. But some advice about how to control yours fears might help. Mindfulness would help you with coping with your life if you live in a state of perpetual anxiety. You can get Meds, CBT and Mindfulness referrals from your DR.
I have children who are Doctors and they have been in Operating Theatres and operated on people. The rules are stringent. Imagine what it must have been like 51 years ago. I have a beautiful neat scar. Yours will be even better.
You may also be able to get some help from what is called a rehabilitation team. I think you get six weeks help after you have left hospital. Go to your GP and explain how you feel and ask if there is any help to be got ( free) for after you come out of hospital. All your friends will help you get your son to school. If not ask his teacher to ask if any one will help you. It's only for a short time as you will soon be on your feet. Stock your fridge with ready meals.
An ovarian cyst is quite difficult to diagnose. When I had one I was asked if I was pregnant. I was a virgin, so felt quite indignant.
You are fit and well, that will help.
You will be fine!

CaffeLatteIceCream Thu 27-Nov-14 08:49:46

I have suffered HA for years. Sometimes so severe, I almost lost touch with reality. I am much better now, but truly, I get where you're coming from.

About 10 years ago, I needed an urgent op in the middle of the night, so no warning at all. My HA was at it's worst and I was almost hysterical with fear at the thought of a GA. I didn't think I'd survive it...I'd have a terrible reaction and die on the table etc. etc.

The team operating on me had to go off for a more urgent case just as I was about to be put under, so I had an hour's wait in the little pre-room being looked after by a male nurse. That man saved my sanity that night.

He'd been nursing in operating theatres for about 15 years and he told me that the only people who ever die under anaesthetic are people with very, very serious conditions....people gettig quadruple bypasses etc, and even then it's rare.

He said that chances of an otherwise healthy person dying are so exceedingly slim, most professionals will never see it happen in their entire careers.

Reactions are uncommon....but when they do occur they are nausea and headaches afterwards, not death.

I will never forget his words to me: "You have my personal guarantee that you will not die under anaesthetic". He meant it, and I believed him...so should you.

You will be fine. You might be a bit pukey, headachey, drowsy afterwards....but it is a virtual guarantee that you will be fine. One day old babies have GA, as do 99 year old grannies...and generally, they are absolutely fine. Anaesthetics are very, very safe these days.

In terms of how it feels being put under....it's a piece of piss. No different to falling asleep. In fact, it's quite an enjoyable sensation.

Have you considered that your HA may actually be because you are a lone parent to your son? I was also a lone parent with one son and my terror of leaving him alone in the world played a large part in my HA.

CBT can help enormously...something to look into?

Good luck, and let me say again....you WILL be fine smile

Shoegal0305 Sat 29-Nov-14 08:50:42

Bump

U2TheEdge Sat 29-Nov-14 22:00:52

I have awful HA.

I hate it. Ruins my life.

How are you feeling now?

I am obsessing over a very dark mole. It is tiny, four GP have said it is fine over the last few years. Had it checked again a few days ago during an appointment and the gp said it is a dark one, but perfectly healthy. Of course I can only focus on the dark part, wondering why he said it was dark. My husband says to focus on the words perfectly healthy and the fact that he didn't refer me, and that it is tiny and hasn't changed in years.

This week I have thought I was dying of skin cancer and ovary cancer. Keep flitting between the two.

I was petrified of having GA when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I cried and cried and they ended up having to give me a sedative in the ward. It was nothing, total waste of worry in the end!

FoodieToo Sat 29-Nov-14 22:18:56

I cope with my HA by taking Effexor. It is a wonder drug , for me. I appreciate drugs are not the answer for everyone .

For me it makes me react 'normally' to health issues. Prior to taking it I might visit my amazing GP 4 times a week,with various ailments.

I have decided I will take it for the rest of my life. I know that is not for everyone but for me it is the answer.

I see that I have a condition and that these meds make me feel normal. I still worry a bit but not excessively . Anxiety about health crippled my life. I am so much happier now.

U2TheEdge Sat 29-Nov-14 22:29:12

I have been on quite a few meds. They certainly help me keep functional most of the time. It doesn't make me react normally to health problems though, just stops me from also losing reality over it and not being able to function.

I have had OCD since I was 6 years old. I have always had some anxiety over my health but never enough to make me rush to the doctors over anything. I rarely used to go.

Then my children's father got cancer four years ago (my ex) and it came on with a bang. He died last Xmas and for that year after I remained relatively well as I was so focused on my kids. Now it is coming back again because I can't stand the thought of them losing me too, especially when they lost two granddads to cancer just a few months after their dad.

Meds have been a life safer for me many times though life with my OCD but this time I think the psychological reasons for it need to be dealt with before I can overcome it again.

Actually, I think a lot of mine is a fear of being happy too. Now things are calmer here and I am off to uni soon etc I found myself feeling excited for the future again, then bang, I get ill. Story of my life.. when things are good my illness comes out, I guess I am just scared of being happy for some reason. Well not happy as such, I am happily married, have a lovely family etc, but it is like if I feel too happy then I lose control and it scares me.

See? meds are probably not enough to sort me out totally.

Shoegal0305 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:08:23

Thanks for your replies. Am making myself so ill over all this hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now