Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you buy a peak flow meter?

(5 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 25-Nov-14 19:31:15

And are they expensive?

Morrigu Tue 25-Nov-14 19:34:48

You can get them for about a tenner off the internet or on prescription if you have asthma or respiratory problems for whatever charge there is for that person.

Kundry Tue 25-Nov-14 19:37:51

If you have asthma your GP will give you one for free.

If you don't have asthma but you do have health anxiety, puffing into a peakflow meter will only make the anxiety worse.

Morrigu Tue 25-Nov-14 19:40:10

Thanks kundry, all our prescriptions are free here in NI so wasnt sure what you got charged in the mainland for that sort of thing.

magso Tue 25-Nov-14 20:53:11

Yes you can buy one (I did as I needed a spare after I left mine behind on holiday). I imagine you may need proof you need one - I bought it from the pharmacy that dispenses all my puffers so they knew me. Usually if you need one the GP or asthma nurse or respiratory clinic will give you a prescription for one. The asthma clinic prescribe me a new one most years, at the usual prescription charge if you don't have a free or prepayment prescription card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now