Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cancelled today's MRI scan

(26 Posts)
Bassetfeet Tue 25-Nov-14 15:23:07

Feel like the most useless pathetic woman . They said the appt will be used thank goodness.
Just cannot lie flat without my throat closing up and feeling as if I am choking . Tried dummy runs at home . Have been in floods of tears all day.
My sons are very angry with me .
I just couldn't do it . Just couldn't . My own health I know .
Son just put phone down on me .

Fragglewump Tue 25-Nov-14 15:29:37

Op - I really feel for you but you can do this - even if you need a bit of 'help'. Has anyone suggested to you that you get some kind of sedation - this could range from a couple of diazepam tablets to relax you and make you feel calm to full sedation- you're not the only one who gets freaked out by the idea of this. Ring the hospital and they can help you.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 25-Nov-14 15:32:22

I asked to be prescribed Diazepam before mine. I think it helped.

EmNetta Tue 25-Nov-14 15:32:26

Sympathy for scan, which is not very nice, but I wonder if you could have a relaxant before scan starts? I seem to remember being offered one myself, but didn't want to stay in hospital overnight, so didn't get one.

Maybe it would be more helpful to talk to a friend or different relative, as sons don't seem helpful or understanding. Good luck anyway.

Bassetfeet Tue 25-Nov-14 16:05:38

Thank you for such comforting words and advice .
I did have some Valium prescribed but the appt was at 6 pm so I just lost it today waiting . Don't know if it would have made any difference . I was so so upset and distressed

Just had text from son saying how disappointed he is with me .

Madamecastafiore Tue 25-Nov-14 16:08:20

Ask for an early morning appointment and to be sedated. You may have to push for it but it is perfectly possible.

Got99problems Tue 25-Nov-14 16:12:34

It sounds as if the dummy runs just served to make you feel more upset, rather than more prepared. Did you take valium for the dummy runs?
Please rebook, ask for an early appointment and take everything they can offer to help you get through it. It will just be a few minutes of your life, nothing bad will happen, and it could be really useful. Good luck

Siarie Tue 25-Nov-14 16:17:49

I remember my first MRI, It was sprung on me though I went in thinking that I would be just seeing my consultant for me back and suddenly she said "I think you need an MRI, the next available appointment is in 15 mins if you want to wait?". So off I went and got into a robe by the time I had finished filling out the questionnaire it was time to get in the scanner.

I hate small spaces and I didn't even have time to think about it which really helped. I'm sure if you speak to the department they will have ways of dealing with this. I had headphones with music and I had a little thing in my hand for getting their attention if I needed it. They spoke through the headphones occasionally to ask if I was OK but I kept my eyes shut the whole time.

Siarie Tue 25-Nov-14 16:18:26

my back* hehe me sounds very funny though! me old back!

Bassetfeet Tue 25-Nov-14 17:19:43

Thank you all so much for kind helpful replies . X

tak1ngchances Tue 25-Nov-14 17:22:08

I have clinically diagnosed claustrophobia and I managed an MRI scan with Valium. Take the tablets, you will be able to do it I promise!

LostInWales Tue 25-Nov-14 17:26:27

You have all my sympathies OP, I had an MRI and it was very stressful and I hated it and I'm a radiographer. Your sons need a lesson in empathy, they are making me quite cross right now!

On another thread someone mentioned this lot Upright MRI and once I'd got over my embarassment at not knowing about it before I decided if I ever needed another one I would try my hardest to get one like this! Good luck and don't you dare feel like you let anyone down, you did your best and that's all that counts.

Floralnomad Tue 25-Nov-14 17:30:44

I know how you feel ,I also can't breathe if I lay flat ( well I can but psychologically I cannot) . Diazepam didn't do me any good because I don't need to relax I need to be unconscious to have an MRI in a normal scanner . Ask your consultant if they can get you funding for an open scanner or a bariatric scanner ,it will be a longer wait but is perfectly feasible .

Chandon Tue 25-Nov-14 17:31:13

have you done one before?

It may not be as bad as you think. I have and a few, it was mainly a bit noisy (which I did not expect) but not scary. My worry was much worse than how bad it actually was (not bad).

What is it for?

Can someone come in with you? Can GP give you some Valium?

trackrBird Tue 25-Nov-14 17:41:04

Don't feel bad. You would have done it if you could, and next time you might be in a better place. brew

Self hypnosis might help more than dry runs. Look out for a download online, at least one company does one especially for scans.

Consider EFT too - sounds woo but there's a growing evidence base.

What's the anger from your sons all about? Are they afraid for you? Their criticism strikes me as unhelpful.

Bassetfeet Tue 25-Nov-14 18:11:34

It is for lumber spine Chandon . Not even a long one.

I hade one a few years ago for head and neck scan fine. Now I am beyond quivering wreck .

All your advice and comforting words have helped hugely Another text of disgust from DS
Feel utterly shite but he has good point

trackrBird Tue 25-Nov-14 18:28:05

When someone has severe anxiety, criticism is unwelcome and unhelpful. Also likely to make things worse!

Your sons have had their say ...and if they've nothing constructive to add, suggest they wrap it up now.

Let it go from your mind. Another day may be better, and another day you might look for more help. Not tonight, just try to relax tonight, Basset. brew

SmokingGun Tue 25-Nov-14 18:32:25

Oh dear OP, try to relax about it now there's no point getting upset about something that can't be changed now. I have had quite a few MRI scans of my hips (so broadly the same area of the body I guess) and never has my head had to actually go into the scanner. Is that the bit that worries you?

gingeroots Tue 25-Nov-14 18:39:34

Just offering sympathy ,please don't beat yourself up on top of all the anxiety .

TrackrBird is spot on about criticism ,personally I think not justified . And very unhelpful .

flowers flowers flowers + brew

Bassetfeet Tue 25-Nov-14 18:44:18

I am letting go now tonight . Another appt booked so,hopefully will manage it.
Thank you for replies ..helped so much with the kindness .

Bassetfeet Tue 25-Nov-14 18:52:45

Thank you so much . My latest text says get a backbone mother .
Ah as if I like this hell

Your words and concern have given me huge boost . I am listening to all advice and comforted by words of those who know .

Matildathecat Tue 25-Nov-14 19:16:20

get a backbone 'mother. He's not really helping,is he? shock.

Sorry you has such an awful day. Agree with others to ask about other options. And hope you have some better RL support.xx

Chandon Tue 25-Nov-14 19:16:48

I had a lumbar mri, it was fine.

It really helped analyse my slipped disc, and subsequent treatment.

Your son is worried about you, he is expressing it in an unhelpful manner, but he cares about you. Take in the sentiment, and not the wording, if you can.

PowderMum Tue 25-Nov-14 19:53:01

I have a few MRI scans and have issues with enclosed spaces (I have to have an aisle seat on an airplane), for back and stomach area issues I ask to go in feet first so my head never enters the machine, somehow this stops me from panicking and I can manage it.

I did once have a head scan, was feeling really ill and there was no choice, the health care assistant on that day definitely deserved a medal, talking me into the machine and then staying with me throughout the whole process. To be fair I don't think I could have my head done again without sedation.

SassySugarCane Tue 25-Nov-14 20:37:57

Why are your sons of all people being so nasty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now