Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Meal/snack recipes and ideas high in calories - quick and easy?

(19 Posts)
Letmesleep2 Mon 24-Nov-14 18:43:44

Am aiming to increase weight about 1st + half and I'm running out of ideas for high calorie snacks and meals. I have a very sweet tooth but for snacks (doing 3x a day) I'm eating sweet stuff all the time and it's getting tedious... I like crisps but they just aren't high cal enough. Preferably 300+ calories?

Also, for lunch and dinner I feel like I'm having pasta and with creamy sauce a LOT. I don't eat meat unfortunately. Also, anything that's high calorie but not v filling would be great.

Looking forward to hearing ideas if anyone has some because I'm running out of inspiration! Just thought I'd ask on mn as if people have past experience with needing to increase their weight then they're bound to have some high calorie snacks & meals easy to hand? smile

Also, sorry if this is on the wrong thread.

Letmesleep2 Mon 24-Nov-14 18:54:00

and with? Sorry *with

TheAlias Mon 24-Nov-14 19:03:10

Nuts are traditionally "prescribed" for people needing to gain weight.

Cheese? Adding oil and butter to your usual food?

meandjulio Mon 24-Nov-14 19:10:01

I wonder if you eat fish?

Smoked mackerel pate on granary/multiseed toast

Half avocado with a scoop of cream cheese in the centre (and I mean cream cheese, not Philadelphia shite)

Toast 50g pumpkin seeds (just heat them in a dry frying pan); grate a carrot, mix up a scandinavian cream dressing (e.g. cream, sugar, lemon and cider vinegar) and drizzle over.

Insalata tricolour - slice mozzarella, avocado and tomato, drizzle with olive oil.

Half a naan bread.

Any of those = easily 300 calories.

meandjulio Mon 24-Nov-14 19:10:49

Goddamnit, autocorrect has 'corrected' my 'tricolore' to 'tricolour'! Middle class rage!

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 24-Nov-14 19:22:56

Nuts. Macadamia nuts in particular. Cheese and crackers. Slice of quiche. Anything with pastry really.

meandjulio Mon 24-Nov-14 19:26:37

Really hungry now.

Time to break out the mince pies?
Cornish pasties
Ooh, samosas

Letmesleep2 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:30:53

Not so keen on fish but will give the other things a try means meandjulio Thank you for suggestions so far - it's sometimes difficult to think of new ideas when you're stuck in a rut!!

Sleepwhenidie Mon 24-Nov-14 19:32:15

Never mind tedious, loads of sweet stuff will likely give you non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and increase your chance of getting diabetes.

Go for whole foods, full fat stuff - olives, avocados, cold pressed oil on salads and veggies and added to smoothies, oily fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines), full fat dairy, (no sugar) nut butters, raw nuts, good quality (low sugar) protein shakes could be useful, make one with a banana, a tbsp of nut butter and some chia seeds as a snack.

Letmesleep2 Tue 25-Nov-14 15:36:26

Wow thanks sleep. Do you know of any protein shakes that taste ok? Have never had any before but 'ensure' was mentioned a lot when I searched.

Lovetheleaves Tue 25-Nov-14 15:46:27

Ummm id love to be to I have to put up half stone or more . Anyway I would go for scrambled eggs with butter and whole milk on hot buttery toast for breakfast. Slice of brack or carrot cake etc for snack. A nice creamy bowl of soup and toastie sandwich or wrap for lunch. Nuts /fruit/ yoghurt for snack. Dinner would be pasta/rice / meat etc or a homemade rice pudding for dessert following a fish dinner maybe.

Other snacks would include hummus , pitta bread , and bagel with peanut butter and banana .

Lovetheleaves Tue 25-Nov-14 15:47:43

Sooty that was a bit all over the place , got a bit excited with all the yummy thoughts of food.

Sleepwhenidie Tue 25-Nov-14 16:31:50

letmesleep ensure has tons of sugar, take a look at Optimimum Nutrition which uses whey or Vital Protein which is pea protein isolate (vegan friendly and probably the best option health wise, but IMO the ON one tastes nicer! smile

Sleepwhenidie Tue 25-Nov-14 16:32:36

The Vital one tastes quite nice btw, just not as nice as ON.smile

Letmesleep2 Tue 25-Nov-14 18:38:23

Ok thanks sleep, will have a look tomorrow on my way home from work.
Great ideas as well leaves, thanks. Am thinking I may mix eggs the night before and nuke in the microwave in the morning. smile

spilttheteaagain Wed 26-Nov-14 15:39:59

Cashew nuts are wonderfully calorific. A great snack. But tbh any nuts or a mix are perfect for this. Add some dark (70, 80% +) chocolate too.

Homemade pesto for pasta/potato salad/a dressing for hot veg. Pine nuts are very nutritious and high in calories, blend a whole packet with plenty of olive oil and then a herb/garlic etc of your choice and drizzle away.

Make bread and load it with tons of seeds. If you aren't so keen on the texture then you can whizz up a mix of seeds in a chopper/processor and pour them in as extra flour.

Add a couple of scoops of ground almonds to your porridge. Top with whole nuts/seeds and a slosh of cream, and drizzle of honey.

I saw a tip once to fortify your milk to increase calories - basically add a couple of scoops of dried milk to normal milk and shake to dissolve. Use milk instead of water when making up soups and sauces.

Generous olive oil/butter to fry in or dress veg etc with.

Coffee with cream float your boat?

I am very partial to a banana sliced lengthways, then filled with 1-2 tbsp peanut butter, sandwiched back together and eat.

Hummous can be fairly heavy on the calories, esp if you make it yourself as you can be generous with the oil. A nice dip for veg/pitta bread/tortillas etc

Egg sarnies with plenty of mayo/salad cream in the mix?

Jacket potatoes slathered in butter with a pile of cheese or thickly mayoed coleslaw or both.

Have an appetiser before dinner - some salted nuts & few crisps and a glass of something. That will easily be 300 cals +!

Letmesleep2 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:41:48

Ah thanks for the ideas spilt! Never thought of adding ground almonds to porridge but will do so. Am currently doing grilled ciabatta with pesto, tomato and mozzarella as a snack and made Nigella's peanut butter hummus yday evening as I had some time spare. grin

ThreeFroglets Thu 27-Nov-14 23:20:38

How about Complan?

It comes in different flavour shakes, smoothies, soups and the original variety which is flavourless so can be added to your own porridge/soup/stews/etc.

It worked wonders for my son when he was off his food and he never minded the flavours.

Each serving is a light meal replacement, around 250 and not too filling. He particularly liked the chocolate flavour....and especially when blended with a spoonful of peanut butter and a scoop of vanilla icecream....Snickers Smoothie!

Sleepwhenidie Thu 27-Nov-14 23:29:44

Complan is about 50% sugar shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now