Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this scabies?

(16 Posts)
HexBramble Sun 23-Nov-14 19:01:51

Sorry, can't post pic.

DD has been in her new home for 1 month. She has for the last 2 weeks been getting flat non-raises red marks on her body that within days become red disc-looking scabs which fall off. Skin underneath is darkened.

She has had a few on legs, neck, base of skull scalp area, armpit, fingers. Her fiancé has had a few on his arm (he is a typical scratch-them-to-hell-and-back and his became infected, so bugger and needed AB's from doc. Doc v unhelpful and didn't know what they
were).

They are itchy, but never raised like flea bits are. They also aren't clustered so (and after manic scrutiny of sheets and bed joints) bed bugs are ruled out.

Carpets are new, house was redecorated and not lived in for 15 months.

DD is a med student and has been doing home visits with a midwife for last month. Is scabies a possibility?

HexBramble Sun 23-Nov-14 19:03:06

smileBigger not bugger

Loads of typos sorry - iPhone and fat fingers.

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Sun 23-Nov-14 19:20:19

Could be. Scabies classic sign is rash/bumps in the webbing between fingers.

HexBramble Sun 23-Nov-14 19:48:52

Thanks. Could she have caught it on her home visits?

mawinter Mon 24-Nov-14 07:12:25

What they need to look for is if the areas which are bothering them have a clear spot in them. If you take a magnifying glass to the bumps and look there will be little things underneath which resemble spiders.

HexBramble Mon 24-Nov-14 17:13:55

Seriously?!
Even with a magnifying glass?!

mawinter Mon 24-Nov-14 21:45:33

Yes, seriously. It's gross. :/ I had them as a teenager and my doctor identified them using a magnifying glass. I feel for anyone who ever gets scabies. I have trauma for life from it and freak out at the slightest itch.

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Tue 25-Nov-14 23:21:59

Scabies is incredibly contagious, so she could have caught it anywhere. It spreads like wildfire through children, like most contagious diseases!

ireallydontlikemonday Wed 26-Nov-14 07:35:25

My husband had scabies last year, it was horrible.

His were raised red bumps in the finger webbing bits (sure there is a technical name for that) that were itch and he had the tell tale silver 'tracking' marks from where they burrow under the skin. Even more gross.

Good news is that treatment was easy - a cream you put all over, twice in 24 hours I think. We had to bag up all his clothes an boils wash, same with bedding.

He's a teacher and we're fairly sure he picked them up at school - if the source is where she's living it may be harder to find that and irradicate them.

Could possibly be bed bugs too?

ireallydontlikemonday Wed 26-Nov-14 07:36:47

Sorry, just saw not bed bugs.

Fiddlerontheroof Wed 26-Nov-14 07:43:58

Hi, my daughter has exactly what you describe...I took her to the docs and she said they are flea bites. She'd picked them up from my sisters....who was battling a flea infestation at the time. I knew it was that, as fresh ones appeared each time she visited. It doesn't sound like scabies. She needed an antibiotic cream also as they are very itchy, they are exactly as you describe....I'd get her to flea treat the place!

Could be fleas - they can lie dormant for ages and then our body warmth reactivates them. Apparently. Well it happened to us. Boak

VivaLeBeaver Wed 26-Nov-14 08:09:09

You can get scabies from trying clothes on in a shop.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 26-Nov-14 08:10:02

I'd have thought fleas were more likely. She needs to spray the house with indorax. Get it from amazon.

HexBramble Wed 26-Nov-14 17:47:19

Thanks everyone.
It's therefore possible it's fleas? Even though it's been re carpeted (can live in floorboards/cracks in skirting boards?) and not lived in for well over a year?

Also, whenever I've had flea bites darn you Cat they've raised into angry little lumps. These aren't a raised at all - they look like someone has dabbed her with a soft red felt too. It's only when they scab and drop off that there's a larger mark.

Her colleagues are baffled blush

HexBramble Wed 26-Nov-14 17:48:24

Red felt tip, not felt too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now