Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast Augmentation and breast cancer

(4 Posts)
FTS123 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:49:02

Hi I am seeing a surgeon soon regarding a breast augmentation. Thing is, I have a family history of breast cancer and wonder how easy it will be to feel lumps/mammogram. I am 40 and have to start mammograms now on recommendation from the genetics clinic. Anyone have the same situation? I don't have the faulty gene so the mastectomy route is not really an option, certainly on on the NHS anyway.

Annietheacrobat Sun 23-Nov-14 11:25:15

www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/breastscreen/publications/breast-implants-breast-screening.pdf

I would discuss this with your surgeon. Implants do make cancers harder to detect - because of scanning issues and because a lump may be less obvious.

kitkat1967 Sun 23-Nov-14 13:21:01

I have had augmentation in 1 breast (post breast cancer treatment) - my surgeon said there was no additional risk and I have since had a mammogram and although they had to alter some settings on the machine it was fine. Having already had breast cancer there is no way that I would have been offered this is there was a risk.

FTS123 Sun 23-Nov-14 16:41:41

Ok, that's really helpful - thankyou both smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now